Hi from Germany

arnie

Reaction score
Hi all,

so after I'm already registered a few weeks ago, now it's time for a short introduction.

First of all it's pretty amazing to me, that a "scene" of E9 - enthusiasts is obviously much more intensive in the States than it is in Germany, where BMWs are coming from. At least I got this impression over the last couple of weeks.

I'm from Germany as well as this car, which I bought nearly a quater of a century ago (man, time's running faster than any BMW can).

I drove this 3,0 CS for more or less 10 years before I stored it in my garage for the last 15 years to be pulled out sometime again. This "sometime" took place these few weeks ago, when I decided to provide the garage place to one of my other BMWs (a selfmade convertible E21 series) for the summertimes when it's registered for driving. The few days, where the coupe had to wait outside for his summertime parking place were sufficient for me to become a CS - junky again. So there's no way out anymore and I have to bring "HER" back to life. (I learned in the meantime that coupes are female :grin:)

Before I'll strip the body more or less completely, there's hopefully the chance to get it registered with a historic number plate, which means in Germany, that cars, that are older than 30 years would get a additional "H" to the plate and pay less tax for it. But these cars needs to be in good shape and worth it to be jugded as historic important (whatever that means).

So in general normally everything has to be original with some certain exceptions. So my car has some rust areas and a few modifications, which could be a problem to get this H-plate.

The biggest issue could become the engine, which is coming from a B10 E28 Alpina. I'd like to keep this engine and therefor I'll try to get this issue fixed before I start the big operation to the car.

I allready have some good parts to weld in (front fenders are yet prepared to move in, a complete front mask will follow. Rear fenders, roof skin, sheetmetal for the back and door skins are on my schedule, as well as the floor and the supporting structure under the front fenders. More ore less everything.

So the countdown is running and I'll move over to a restoration thread as soon as there are some results to be documented.

cheers from Germany

Ingo

PS: I apologize for my weak English, I'll do my verybest to improve it :roll:

duane_sword

Reaction score
Welcome to the E9coupe forum! Your English is excellent, and 100 times better than my German, I only know how to say "Thankyou", "Hello" and "Beer" in German.

Please share some photos of your CS and the Alpina transplanted engine!

Where in Germany are you? Having a "friend" in Germany with access to parts and German-English translation can be very helpful :)

There is also a link on the E9 Forum where you can register your E9, please try to do that here:

http://www.e9-driven.com/

Best regards from Boston USA

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Welcome, your English is probably better than mine. Shots of your E21 would be good too.

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome on board.
Yep, if we look at the cost of trim we will have to agree that coupes are female, and thus they are meant to be garaged. Don't keep her outside for long, she will never forget your transgression.

A.

bill

Site Donor
Reaction score
The E9 (" the coupe") is one of the most beautiful cars ever designed, and that's not just my opinion. It usually can be find in car magazine editors' selections of the best looking of all time. They get a lot of attention over here because they stand out so well compared to the soul-less GenFordSlers and ToyNisMazDaiKias one sees all the time. IMHO.

arnie

Reaction score
hey guys,

Thx for your welcome and kind standing my attempts to subscribe my missing vocabulary :p

sry, that I'm to lazy to load up the pictures of the E21 here. There's a fred already existing in a German forum, where you could find some shots of this car. Here's the link:

http://www.e21-board.de/wbb/dies-und-das/einwohnermeldeamt/47444-hallo-auch-von-mir/

(just scroll down a little)

pictures of the coupe I need to do first. Will be delivered the next days. And I'll do the registration of my CS shortly. (kinda late Today)

But don't worry: She's already at the intesive station and stored on my car lift.

I'm located roughly in the center of Germany, not far away from Dortmund, which probably is also known overseas ?!?

Ingo

rb1971

Reaction score
Wilkommen! I've found the community here to be great over the past few years, always ready with a helpful answer.

One advantage you have in Germany over those of us in the states is that BMW Mobile Tradition now sells parts online, but not in North America. So it's pretty easy to go right to the source, even if you are not that close to Munich.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
hello ingo,

i have just stepped out from a plane from berlin (i travel to germany almost every two weeks)
safely at home i was thinking about what you said
it is real that you seldom see clssic cars on the streets in germany, say dusseldorf, munich, frankfurt,..., but berlin,... berlin is different my friend

it is a pleassure to see right there running in the streets mercs, bimmers, and others

and if it is rare to see classics, a coupe is even more rare, in my continous trips to germany i have seen only two e9s, one in action in dusseldorf, and another one parked near grainau

wellcome

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Vintage cars in Germany...

I usually go to Stuttgart, Munich, and Ingolstadt, and see a moderate number of vintage cars driving around. I always see a few 2002's and 1960/70's Mercedes sedans. Last time I passed a guy in an immaculate Tr3a zipping down A8 at close to 90mph. Had I not been with coworkers I would have tried to catch his attention and meet him at the next rest stop.

It's funny but here in the USA when you see a TR3 on the highway you say to yourself, "look at that little classic." But on the A8, the TR3 looked every bit a midsize car.

arnie

Reaction score
Here are some pictures now. I did some "refreshing" for the trunk and and the interieur to increase the chances to get this H-plate.

Let's see if it's working before mission rust delete will start.

so long

Ingo

PS: I already have new stickers for the car and one is saying, that the panit is "polaris". So this decision is already done and quite fix in my mind :razz:

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_3024.jpg
    IMG_3024.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_3025.jpg
    IMG_3025.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_3026.jpg
    IMG_3026.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3028.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 220

SicilianE9

Reaction score
Hello Ingo,

Great to see another E9 fanatic from germany joining this really active , competent and passionate community.

I Have less experience than you as i am still waiting for my car after 3years of restoration but the wait has an end, my cs should be finished this month.

I just admired your E9, it inspires deserved respect with the sporty atributes that match the special engine.

I am interested in your progress for the H Kennzeichen with your B10 engine as i would like to stress the limits as well.

Schöne Grüßen aus Berlin.

Luc