Hi there

cuttynz

Reaction score
Hello

I am an NZer living in London.

Have bought a 1970 2800CS and its needs some work. Is a US spec, RHD, converted in the UK, then spent most of its life on Jersey.

From the looks the early RHD were US spec to use english/imperial gauges etc. BMW say they were exported as LHD, converted in London then shipped to RHD markets. Anyone know how long this went on for? I think the CSL RHDs were converted in Germany.

Have only seen two other RHD like this on the registry, one UK, one AU. Any more info would be most appreciated?

Plan is to sort out the rust and keep original as possible.

Cheers

Attachments

• BMW.jpg
    BMW.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 174

rodspock

Reaction score
I understand that these early UK cars were converted by BMW near Dover.

I saw an early Blue 2800 CS recently here in Brisbane (Australia) - the wooden dash top (black on the US cars) was scolloped on the left and right sides. The scollop allowed vision of the LHD instrument pod - recreated on the right also as part of the RHD conversion. Does your car have this?

Cheers,

Rod

cuttynz

Reaction score
I understand that these early UK cars were converted by BMW near Dover.

I saw an early Blue 2800 CS recently here in Brisbane (Australia) - the wooden dash top (black on the US cars) was scolloped on the left and right sides. The scollop allowed vision of the LHD instrument pod - recreated on the right also as part of the RHD conversion. Does your car have this?

Cheers,

Rod

Hi Rod

Yep, radio and 8 track too.

Andrew

cuttynz

Reaction score
What is the VIN, that should answer your question. US/NA coupes have unique VINs.

Hi Chris

Yes is the right VIN number see below from BMW:

The BMW 2800 CS US Automatic VIN 2280397 was manufactured on July 10th, 1970 and delivered on December 28th, 1970 to Great Britain. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060.

Apparently there were only 1167 of these US spec 2800 CS just wondered if anyone knows how many went to RHD.

Andrew