Hidden Antenna

jmackro

Reaction score
I don't think an antenna can work unless it is exposed to the sky through something non-metallic. In other words, unless you have a fiberglass bodied e9, you either need a mast, wires in your windshield, or one of those stick-to-the-glass things. Locating an antenna underhood or in the trunk just won't work, as the metallic body will serve to shield the antenna from the radiowaves.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
John Jacobs put a concealed antenna in his coupe several years ago and reported that it worked well. Sorry I don't have any more details.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Met with John a couple weeks ago and went for a ride in how coupe. His Crutchfield antenna is stuck on the windshield behind the rearview mirror. Pretty unobtrusive.
Stan

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You don't want to put an auto antenna in the driver's side trunk quarter panel? I think they look very cool and euro-period correct

alanmcg

Reaction score
Marginal

I have a concealed antenna in my coupe - i found that above glove compartment gave best reception. I bought an inexpensive unit from amazon, mine is powered (12v). The reception is marginal but adequate, but to not see it is worth trade off for me.

duane_sword

Reaction score
I also have a hidden antenna... completely out of sight... given I elected to delete the radio, speakers and antenna completely...

My precious limited drives in the coupe each year allow me some "zen" moments of just me, the triple-webers rumbling away, and some radio/music/distraction free space.

I thought I would install a modern iPod compatible unit hidden away in the glove box, a remote control or blue tooth, and speakers installed underneath the driver and passenger seats... but I still cherish the peace of the webers!

iconoclast6

Reaction score
Antenna

I also did the antenna mast delete and went with ahidden
antenna that works fine, along with an iPod connect and Sirius radio.

It works best, however, when parked or at a stop light.
Between the cabin noise and my Webers there isn't a great deal
of audio detail...

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting thread - I was thinking about putting an antenna under the rear package shelf. It would have the cardboard/vinyl and rear glass above it. Any thoughts on where I could find a ribbon-type antenna or something that would fit? Crutchfield doesn't seem to carry anything like that, but it could be I'm not calling it the right name as I search.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I also did the antenna mast delete and went with ahidden
antenna that works fine, along with an iPod connect and Sirius radio.

It works best, however, when parked or at a stop light.
Between the cabin noise and my Webers there isn't a great deal
of audio detail...

What antenna did u use?

Sven

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I was thinking about putting an antenna under the rear package shelf.

Glenn - could you literally just adhere a wire to the underside of the cardboard? Then connect the wire to the coaxial cable, then to the radio? I have done similar to my indoor stereo antenna.

I am currently using*the Metra (44UA200) antenna mounted between the back of the sunroof structure and the rear windshield (hidden above the headliner). I am wondering if a unit like this could be made to fit under the parcel shelf - not sure if it is thin enough.

jmackro

Reaction score
Interesting thread - I was thinking about putting an antenna under the rear package shelf. It would have the cardboard/vinyl and rear glass above it. Any thoughts on where I could find a ribbon-type antenna or something that would fit? Crutchfield doesn't seem to carry anything like that, but it could be I'm not calling it the right name as I search.

Scanning ebay, I see something designed to stick onto a windshield, but I suppose you could stick it on the underside of your rear shelf. It looks like:

$(KGrHqR,!m!E6+bJWkteBPBTnN4ZiQ~~60_12.JPG

and is ebay # 180789686731 (of course, that auction will disappear in a few days). It costs a big $6.00 with free shipping, so it might be worth a try.

No direct experience, don't know how well it will work under a parcel shelf, your mileaage may vary, ...

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
There you go - I'm going to give it a whirl as well. I thought I wanted a power antenna and even had the hole in my front fender filled and extended power and antenna to the trunk. The power antenna I bought had a bum motor, so I just extended the antenna and put the whole thing in the trunk and it's "OK". Under the rear shelf should be much better!

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Got the hidden antenna installed on the rear package shelf, between speakers and under the panel covering. While it's not as good as a good exterior mounted antenna, I have to say it works just great for me.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hmmmm, mine has not arrived
Glenn, did the antenna come with sufficient wire to extend all the way to the parcel shelf?
Where did you run the wire?

Last edited:

glenn in encinitas

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mounted with double sided adhesive tape onto steel shelf, not the removable panel. Antenna has the tape already. Used a standard extension cable, as I was planning to run to rear fender as it was. Under carpet along rocker, under rear seat, up along rear drivers side armrest to rear shelf. Easy to do- five minute job.

jmackro

Reaction score
Got the hidden antenna installed on the rear package shelf, between speakers and under the panel covering. Mounted with double sided adhesive tape onto steel shelf, not the removable panel.
Not clear if you stuck it to the TOP of the metal panel, between the metal and the fibreboard, or BELOW the metal panel (e.g., in the trunk). I doubt it would work very well if there was a grounded metal panel between the antenna and the sky, but you tell me.

While it's not as good as a good exterior mounted antenna, I have to say it works just great for me.

How is radio reception there in north county? A few miles north, here in south OC, it's terrible. Most stations are broadcast from LA or SD, and neither is close enough for good reception.

Last edited: