High Beam & Wiper Questions

josante

Reaction score
Hi there!!! Thanks, first off, to those who helped out with my play-in-the-steering wheel question. Problem solved.

I've got two more quetions, both located near one another; hopefully you guys can help me out:

1) I can turn my high beams on but CANNOT flash them. Can the fault be anywhere other than the stalk switch itself?

2) I can turn my wipers on at medium and high speeds (2nd & 3rd setting) but CANNOT turn them on at the intermittent setting (1st setting). I figure the fault there can be found in either the interval wiper control/relay OR at the stalk switch itself. Any way to test either? Cause either of those pieces is over $125, and while can spend the money, I really would hate to waste it.

Do please let me know and THANKS in advance.

Regards,

Julian Osante

'72 3.0CS
'79 323i (lost to the FL rust monster)
'02 530i

D-jetronic

Reaction score
Hello

If I remember the high beams are on the left switch, coming to the driver .If this does not work, the switch should be incriminated.
Same thing with the wiper , where the push button on the right switch is often faulty !
Have you check the wiring diagram ??

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I assume you have the US wired headlights.

Yes, there is a wire that intervenes in the headlight flashing circuit only, so you can have a fault other than the stalk itself. You can expose the stalk connector and check for voltages there.

As for the wiper the answer is simpler, the E9 should be inside when it rains.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
The highbeam is almost certainly the switch as D-jetronic says. It may be possible to remove, open up and cleaned; there are small small tabs which can be carefully bent back to open it. I would use disk brake cleaner or contact cleaner to remove the grime and then polish the contacts with a standard pencil eraser.

The wiper switch on the column is a simple on-off switch. They do go bad but if the any wiper functions work this switch is not the problem. The intermittance function is controlled by the center console switch and the wiper control relay. I am pretty sure the console switch can be opened the same way and cleaned. These switches are very susceptible to corrosion and grime build up. However, the wiper control relay may also be a problem. I've been steadily rebuilding all of my relays because the contacts and spring metal fatigues over time.

Now, if anyone can help me figure out my wiper problems... they usually turn on when I push the button but they often will not turn off. Even stranger, they sometime come on randomly and run a few cycles and stop! I am sure there is a short somewhere but it is so random I can't trace it. :evil:

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
jhjacobs said:
Now, if anyone can help me figure out my wiper problems... they usually turn on when I push the button but they often will not turn off. Even stranger, they sometime come on randomly and run a few cycles and stop! I am sure there is a short somewhere but it is so random I can't trace it. :evil:
Look at the wiper and contact areas in the wiper motor if you have not had it apart. Clean out the 35 year old grease while you are in there!