Historic Photo

Bwana

Reaction score
I'm looking for a photo from sometime in the '60's, taken at the Laguna Seca corkscrew. It was during a one off, non-scantioned race between, I think, an F1 car, a sprint car (Lloyd Ruby?) and some other assorted race vehicles. The interesting thing about the race was that the single speed sprint car could meet or beat the F1 car around the circuit. Definitely from and old magizine like Road & Track, pre-neenernet days.

Anybody remember this event? It's making me crazy

kasbatts

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, would like to know more about that.

Someone told me once (not sure if true, more than likely urban legend?) that during testing somewhere both the new turbo BMW F1 car (early eighties) and the big beast turbo e9 were on the track together, the E9 apparently whipped the F1 car in a straight line, but somehow I doubt it's true as both cars where capable of the same sort of HP and the F1 car is lighter, more aerodynamic, and can get its power down better.

Would have been funny if true though.

Ps

I have always loved the look of Laguna Saca, that corkscrew looks amazing and very challenging, I would love to drive it one day

Bwana

Reaction score
Found it!

Nothing like the years making everything blend together. It was Roger Ward driving the Midget at Lime Rock in 1959.

http://www.barcboys.com/LimeRock%20TheRace.htm

Forgive me for seeing this in my mind's eye as the Corkscrew! Oh well.

LimeRock59FormLibre_zps3503b85d.jpg

LimeRockmidget_zpsb0706736.jpg

I believe those Midgets had only one forward gear but kept up and passed the foreign jobs with five! Pretty cool story none the less! :-D