Holes.... Cut, Bend, Drill, Weld, Toast, Weld, Hammer.......

Malc

Reaction score
Well actually I was going to cut the lawn tonight but it started to rain. So time to chase some more of those pesky rusty bits...

100_1499.jpg

So I cut a cardboard template, cut out the shape in 0.8mm steel that I need. I drill lots of holes in it so I can plug weld it, which is much stronger than just welding around the edges. I have put in the initial bend I need to get it to fit (two bits of old angle iron in a vise make a suitable metal folder)
The black part is a Jaymic repair section which will go on later...

100_1500.jpg

Check it vaguely fits.....

100_1501.jpg

Then start plug welding.....

100_1505.jpg

OK so I should put in the required compound curves properly, but I cheat and use a "gas axe" and a hammer to... er .... shape the panel

100_1508.jpg

Well finally done, took me a couple of hours tonight, I know, sad puppy should be out on the lash or something. :roll:
It looks a bit ugly but I will dress off the panel with my favourite tool - My angle grinder!

100_1516.jpg

Well time to watch "Have I Got News For You"
Fire lit Laldog?
Cheers

Malc

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fire lit....

Thanks Malc,

I'm getting pretty worked up over here. My wife thinks I'm crazy, grinning like the village idiot, checking out plug welds. She's worried that I'm not downloading pictures of women....

Never thought of plug welding, it makes so much sense and has so many applications. Thanks for that tip.

I also noticed what looks like an oxy-acetaline torch. Is that used for forming the metal or do you also do brazing or welding with it??

And the primer. Have you had much success with the weld-through primer??

Thanks in advance. Now if it stops raining here, the grinding, cutting, sanding, chopping can commence.

Malc

Reaction score
Hi Laldog
I use the oxy- acetelene torch for not only forming panels, it's great for brazing, freeing up rust exhausts etc etc.
However in this application I used it to soften the steel enough to hammer it into the required shape, using the floor as a "mold" using a variety of panel beating hammers.... A little bit at a time

The primer I use is called Bondaprimer. I don't think it is offically a weld through primer, but it seems to stand up pretty well to being welded on and even the heat from the gas axe. I have used it for years and it at is pretty good value for money. I don't know if you can get it on your side of the ditch.
However that said I would use some form of primer because it's better than none at all.

Cheers
Malc

chicane

Reaction score
Is that a MIG or TIG welder? And how long have you been welding?

Malc

Reaction score
Chicane,
It's a MIG welder. I run a BOC product known as Argoshield, which is a mix of Argon and something else....brian fade at work :wink:
The welder itself is an ancient BOC Autolynx welder, state of the art in 1970! However it refuses to die. I bought it second hand at a garage closing down auction.

I have been welding on and off for too many years, but only as a hobby and not as employment which probably explains why my welding still looks like sh :shock: t!

Malc