Hood and fender grilles

Stefano_b

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello to all! Since my grilles are peeling off, I need to know which is the best way to restore them. And first of all: are they chromed plastic, chromed metal or aluminum? PS MY69 2800cs.
Thanks!!

Rek

Reaction score
Also, I bought new chrome grills but didn't think the 'one use only' clips were that good for such expensive items. I broke off the prongs, drilled four small holes and used stainless steel screws to attach them. It's a fake grill anyway but adding the screws improves the look. Obviously not standard but neither is many aspects of my car.

Attachments

• IMG_8764.JPG
    IMG_8764.JPG
    404.2 KB · Views: 74

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
Also, I bought new chrome grills but didn't think the 'one use only' clips were that good for such expensive items. I broke off the prongs, drilled four small holes and used stainless steel screws to attach them. It's a fake grill anyway but adding the screws improves the look. Obviously not standard but neither is many aspects of my car.
Rek--Now you can make the fake grills look less fake by painting the vertical posts with flat black enamel with a brush and masking tape. Then they will look like the pic below.---Drew

Attachments

• IMG_0918.jpg
    IMG_0918.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 66

Stefano_b

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Which could be the best way to have a very plain surface to chrome on? Light sanding or what else?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
Which could be the best way to have a very plain surface to chrome on? Light sanding or what else?

Depends on the process...

For "painted" chrome all the imperfections has to be filled and the surface needs to be extremely flat as it will impact the effect.

For the real chrome plastic is made conducting and later on copper is electroplated. After it is polished. In case of any imperfections it is copper plating applied once again. There might be several iterations which makes the cost of chroming high.

Answering in one sentence: for mirror like effect all has to be perfectly flat. Very difficult for used parts.

Stefano_b

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Answering in one sentence: for mirror like effect all has to be perfectly flat. Very difficult for used parts.
I think my grilles are still original chromed plastic: has the chrome to be removed mechanically or maybe has electroplating shop a procedure to reverse the process in order to remove chrome from plastic?

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think my grilles are still original chromed plastic: has the chrome to be removed mechanically or maybe has electroplating shop a procedure to reverse the process in order to remove chrome from plastic?
I was told general rule is that it is difficult to make a full chrome process on the plastic again.

Chrome shop is making de-greasing and acid dipping to strip the chrome, nickel and copper. But hard to say if they will be able to reuse the plastic once again (apply conductive film on it to be able to electroplate the copper on it).

Also chrome shop told me it has to be specific plastic even of the part is new.

That is why used plastic are Vacuum-based (plus high voltage) chromed (like the reflectors) but such a surface has to be protected by the clear paint (2K) after to make it more durable.