Hood grills

Dean

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can re chrome the plastic hood grills. mine are in good shape except for the chrome is green with tarnished and pitted. If anyone knows of a place that can do this it would be a great help. Thanks, Dean

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dean
I was at the BMW So Cal Vintage event a few weeks ago. I ran into the owner of King of Trim - Marcos Cielak. According to his flier he chromes plastic and works on the Aluminum trim. He claimed be also work with Peter at Coupe King. Contact info below.
818 326 6924
www.kingoftrim.com

Please let us know how the work turns out if you go with him

Gary

ajwicks

Reaction score
hey Dean,

This is a lost art to many - I have recently sanded mine down with extream caution and then rattle can painted with chrome paint .. the look quite presentable from a foot away!!

Best of Luck ! - Adam.

Dean said:
Does anyone know if you can re chrome the plastic hood grills. mine are in good shape except for the chrome is green with tarnished and pitted. If anyone knows of a place that can do this it would be a great help. Thanks, Dean
[/img]

Dean

Reaction score
Thanks guys

Thanks for the help I'll check these leads out and post my findings. Take care, Dean

DougE

Site Donor
Reaction score
Grill Platting

I bought 4 new grills from BMW sometime ago and sent them to CVVacuum Platters. I sent them to a Washington State location they were then transferred to a location in Canada for plating. I don't think the new grills are made of the same plastic formula as the original are. The fellow at the platter said he had a difficult time getting the chrome to adhere to the grill. He kept trying I’m really pleased with the workmanship, they look great, my car isn't a garage queen but it doesn't see allot of weather either, I live in NC.

Doug

MichaelP

Reaction score
Another option is Walloth & Nesch in Germany. From what I can gather, they're BMW's black grilles plated by another source, since they were available from W&N several years before BMW made them available again a year or so ago. I bought a set a few years back and they're good quality.

Anyway, they show the set of 4 grilles for €353 (about $450), though the duty and shipping might not make it any less expensive than just getting them from your local BMW parts desk:
http://www.wallothnesch.com/e/trim/trime9.htm

pmansson

Reaction score
I have had the W&N chrome grilles for several years. They still look very good. However, what I would like to get are the early style matt chrome, or matt silver is probably a better description.
Anybody still got these (not that I am asking to buy them. Just interested in what people have to say about them).