Hood Grills

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I just bought a nice new set of hood grills. They didn't arrive with the mounting screws.
It looks like the PO broke the set that came with the car by using too big a screw.
Back to Maximillian?

61porsche

Reaction score
Max doesn't show the screw as available. But that same screw shows up on a 325 heater control. Personally, a ss screw of the same size makes sense to me.

What's more interesting is the parts diagram shows a body clip and screw rather than just the screw. ( Needless to say, mine's not like that either.)
But it makes sense, except body clips aren't ss.

Could someone who has an original hood grille / attachment pls. post a pic so we can clarify once and for all?

Thanks in advance.

execmalibu

Reaction score
TINY DETAILS are you kidding? Hood grilles use tiny Phillip Head screw Plastic Washer

Jerry,

I cannot believe that E9 guys are asking questions about tiny little screws under the hood that no one will ever see! That is getting really crazy.

Didn't you guys get the Memo?
According to the rules BMW E9 guys are never interested in or ever allowed to speak about originality or tiny deatils:-?. That sickness is reserved ONLY for Porsche 356 and 911 guys:mrgreen:!

On all 4 of my E9s have the exact same tiny Dome Headed Philips Head sheet metal screws. There are 6 per grille. Under the screws are tiny plastic countersunk washers that are all yellowed now but were probably clear when new...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The plastic bushings seem to be available (but pricey), I'd try your local Ace Hardware or similar store with a large fastener selection and root through everything for suitable substitutions for both parts. Just watch the diameter of the screw threads so they don't crack the plastic grille.

Last edited:

61porsche

Reaction score
Willy ....

Crazy... that's a Willie Nelson song, no? Yeah, that's me. Too many car shows, cars, etc. so I sometimes digress to the dark side. But it never hurts to do a little research before all the original ones get tuned up; which I don't mind; it's your ride, just don't do anything that can't be undone. Take that slantnose off that you paid thirty grand; unless you only do left hand turns. We should start an outlaw E9 category... most wild ride. Wild 9s.( That fits on a license plate?)

I got the memo, but didn't hit the button for Google translate.:-?

I knew there had to be a better way to mount a $112 hood grille so it didn't break that 45 year old plastic, rust, and generally didn't get dotted for the judges that did know what a vintage BMW should be other than white glove clean. Nylon washers... got it.

Thanks for the info! Now if I can just convince those nit pickey Jag judges that paxton is an original accessory from Kent then I'm set. Cloaking device.. maybe like the matrix...

Happy Holidays guys! :-D

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The screw on the existing grills are of various sizes and none have a plastic bushings. I thought it was a rubber washer! My only concern is not to break the new grill. Preventing rust on the new paint job is number two on the list.

While I am at it. The side grills were affixed two ways, someone drilled a hole in one side and screwed it on and on the other side the posts we held on with bits of rubber hose pushed over the posts!!

I assume there is a correct way to attach these too?...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rubber washer would probably work, the screw size is ST2 9X13 according to the parts list.

The side grilles had four posts secured from behind, although the parts diagram shows 4 fillister head screws for these so maybe both kinds were used.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Side grilles have a clip like those for the roundels, push it on but don't ever try to take it back off. Some use a small hose, that apparently works too but no screws! Hood grilles as mentioned use a tiny phillips and plastic washer, go to a large hardware store and search the bins/bags.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Rubber washer would probably work, the screw size is ST2 9X13 according to the parts list.

The side grilles had four posts secured from behind, although the parts diagram shows 4 fillister head screws for these so maybe both kinds were used.

Is that the same as the 7119906706 fillister head, self tapping screw?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No, I bought some of the side grille screws because mine screw on, they are thinner and longer than the ones you are looking for (and apparantly NLA). Ace Hardware or similar is your best bet unless the usual sources here don't have any (Carl, CoupeKing et al).

Is that the same as the 7119906706 fillister head, self tapping screw?

NewSixCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was once at my local Porsche parts counter waiting to order some black anodized screws for my 911. The guy behind me was in a rush and very impatient. Well, when he discovered that I was just ordering screws, he became annoyed and asked me why I didn't just "spray paint some regular screws black?"

I told him if he didn't understand the difference then I certainly wasn't gong to explain it to him.

There's correct and incorrect, and that difference matters to some and not to others...