hoping to learn where my car was sold new

Timothy Wood

Reaction score
I bought a 1972 3.0 CSi that came from Italy. I was told the car was sold new in Italy. The use of maintenance manual, ‘Uso e Manutenzione’ I received is in Italian. The book of ‘Service-Stationen Europa’ is in German. The two books came in a case from SARO BMW, Milano. BMW Ambros Saro is a current BMW car dealer in Minan. I have every reason to believe the car was sold new in Italy. Wondering if BMW was a new car sales history where I can confirm this? I would be grateful for help. Thank you, Tim

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Italian cars have a document called "libretto" with the registration and owners details. Sometimes the libretto is passed along to the new owner when the car is exported, sometimes the authorities keep it... Sometimes the seller makes a copy...

The service manual should have stamps for the shop that performed the early services.

Italian delivery E9s tend to have cloth interior, no AC I think, and two tone front markers (orange/clear).

Facetiously speaking, I bet that Italian cars have a worn horn button as their driving style involves the horn as a communications device...

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
MOST LIKELY HOFFMAN MOTORS IN NEW YORK THEY ALL CAME FROM THEREE
MAYBE NOT
I think Max Hoffman as a BMW dealer imported the US spec version of the car (all CS, no CSi) especially insisting they come with leather interior and A/C. Timothy can confirm, but Italian delivery tended to use cloth interior and no AC, like this one:

Unlikely Hoffman would import a single used CSi from Italy. Recall that when Mercedes did not want to listen to him on customizing the 300SL gullwing for the US, Max placed an order for 1.000 such cars... I would love to be as histrionic once in my life and if don't like the service in the restaurant call my banker and make an offer to buy the place on the spot :).

JBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Fyi: bmw archive now charges for an initial delivery confirmation email. Attempted this last week and was told to fill out a form and pay 125 euros.

Can confirm my Italian delivered CS has no Ac, blue cloth interior. 4 power windows.

AND a worn out horn button

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Fyi: bmw archive now charges for an initial delivery confirmation email. Attempted this last week and was told to fill out a form and pay 125 euros.

Can confirm my Italian delivered CS has no Ac, blue cloth interior. 4 power windows.

AND a worn out horn button

it seems logical,
how many emails they will receive per day…