Horn Problem - No toot

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
When I press the horn button, I get a click.
It did this last week then for some reason began to work again.
What could cause this intermittent problem?

Short answer: you have a stubborn car.

Long answer: you have to check all connections + test the horn (12v)/check horn ring....experts will clear your path....

MF

I'm guessing the horn relay is the culprit. The click you heard was the relay - apparently the magnet is pulling the contacts together, but they had corroded enough to not allow sufficient current to pass. Then with repeated use, that corrosion wore off, allowing the horns to sound.

Taking the cover off the relay and polishing the contacts might revive it.

You need to drive your coupe in more inner-city traffic, so you can keep your horns exercised!

When my E3 horns stopped working, it was the horn itself that failed. You can test this by applying 12v directly to the horn wire. I took the horns apart and cleaned the electrical contacts inside them and they work great now.

On mine it's the rear relay. High beam middle. Front was originally empty, now low beam.

I didn't know you could take the can relay apart.
The horn relay is closest to the front of the car, right

You could even gut it and install a SS relay in its place ...

That's an interesting idea. A less extreme modification would be installing a diode between the horn "+" and ground to absorb the inductive load when the relay points open. That way, the points wouldn't oxidize due to arcing.

The relay is the next to the high beam relay. Just swap them to test.

Before that I would remove and clean the ground wire connection on each side of the car (up inside by the front turn signals). You will see a few brown wires all tied together.

I would remove and clean the ground wire connection on each side of the car (up inside by the front turn signals). You will see a few brown wires all tied together.

Stan said:
When I press the horn button, I get a click. It did this last week then for some reason began to work again.

I'm not saying it isn't the grounds. Or something else. But Stan reported that it healed itself after a few tries and I have had horn relays behave that way. Corroded grounds don't tend to be intermittent and swapping relays is quick, which is why I suggested that he start by checking the relay. But if that doesn't solve it, then sure, checking the grounds would be a good next step.

Last edited:
Fast check for a start- jump pin 87 to pin 30 on the relay

I need to know where they are!!
Be descriptive or show a pic I am at beginner level when it comes to this stuff
Thanks!

Where exactly is the horn relay and how can identify it? Assume it is one of the relays in engine bay but how to hone in on the horn relay vs others? New to forum and new mechanic

Where exactly is the horn relay and how can identify it? Assume it is one of the relays in engine bay but how to hone in on the horn relay vs others? New to forum and new mechanic

i see your point, there is a drawing that shows the place
and it has been previously described here
but any 50 y,o, car could be subject of untold modifications

normally i would try to remove and see what happens,
you know about the 2/3 relays next to the battery, lights and horns, so remove one and see what happens

the repair manual shows this as the horn relay (the round one in the middle):
1725700583776.png

Back