How did it start?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You went to Newman? It was probably that car that imprinted me on St Charles Ave.. The nachtblau 2800cs lived over by State & Tchoupitoulas. Here is my first e9 in 1984 and my current one taken right after I bought it in 2010.

VyNYwWXn8WrzU0rlSetZYRfGWm93c671f3dkhIn5Oyov2W4QTLIbaHVtD-wx-NRIz0E2lIxKQC7CjCaNRTqEjxk3Xs5is5qT2w3OoIaJ-ycQk7G8w6DvyucJDxW6Ym2mVaVw0lD6IpnzU03j907i5fz1hrdnCaTOoR4NFKVVZBZF0BGAShcuW2UcS6oIdfCGYos_DO5O1sRCiCcwkqEPDSifYa0fC2jFEHzqwSq7HxBiEzs9C-_7r8OOI2wzkzWERa7T1zfvCxCtDfufKfWCKfoTWcoPA7tTrgQIMENGCTy-dJQQWL-Kf8rvzc1c_4M0lA0EL5t03D8W84b6KTlEBUwmGGRbZe429mATPXL-rcCxXfm1Ip0rsEBhjvjyzglZY9RB9sOtZ5PEYLeI0azProLDXxB5mX2-1EYikHaPeHPJRd--tOUWrmg6z4mNDgc1Fc8HGYW_3ndNSVuOW2hoSBvRS4wZWahMY8vOFFPk8UbGPW0RK_NxD1iu5AZ_P5roT3RtPMew2xgku3fO4uumM2UOBRdYAIY6yCEIiY7maJGgRlccmqZ_hLwg3tzLBToqdYw2mKP_jI8YnJ6qxjbn6jd6D8c_E6t0oX_inNCviYGi5fRHKNYLw4wR7MIasog73lqfh3fZV9oEI_GwWlqWAs9m07sKGlL6txcxGuBRFSFOGgDdxVx4y-SGcFUL=w672-h781-no

[thread resurrection]
Stevehose, there was a Nachtblau E9 that lived on Octavia, just off of St. Charles Avenue (lake side) in the 80's that I walked past each day when going to school over on Jefferson Ave. I loved looking at that car.

Last edited:

uter

Site Donor
Reaction score
You went to Newman? It was probably that car that imprinted me on St Charles Ave.. The nachtblau 2800cs lived over by State & Tchoupitoulas. Here is my fist e9 in 1984 and my current one taken right after I bought it in 2010.

Yup, Newman ‘88!
We lived on State and St Charles. Didn’t have an E9, but had an E28 (528e).
I love the look of your photos 16 yrs apart.

6BF83B97-9110-4550-8985-1EF20F2CCFA5.jpeg

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
Funnily enough my love of E3s started via Tales of the Unexpected too, although it was actually in book rather than TV form. One episode was called the Hitchhiker, and the main character drove an E3 3.3Li. I was a young boy at the time and I remember being utterly captivated by the car. I’d only seen one in the flesh once; an Arktisblau model in our local BMW dealer’s workshop. It was an Li and had black leather interior and 7” Mahle BBS wheels as I recall. Those of you who grew up in the UK in the late 70s will know how exclusive and rare BMWs in general were, and E3s in particular due to the high import duties etc.

Fast forward a few years and I watched the episode - the car is changed for an E23.....

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
1987. I was on a bike ride with my Brother-in-law in Sunnyvale, CA and came across a rusty Baikal '73 coupe parked on the street. I knocked on the door and the woman who answered said it was her son's car so I left my number. He called a few days later and we made a deal. I'm on number five now.

2002's are a different story. I have no idea how many of those I've had.

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
BMW museum in Munich during post college Europe backpacking trip circa 1985. Fjord blue coupe if I recall. Came home to the states and bought a rusty Verona Red Euro CS and then a Nacht Blau Euro CSi. Sold both in the early 90s. Got the itch again 5 or so years ago.

jabloomf1230

Reaction score
My wife bought a new 1972 malaga 2002 at Ott and Berger BMW in Williamstown, MA. We took it there for service and one day while we were waiting, one of the owners had a 1972 nachtblau 3.0cs with tan leather and he was laying patches of rubber back and forth on the street where the dealer was located. We both were like, wow what the hell is that?

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Dad always wanted an E9 to go with his Triumph Stag he bought in 84. Had one brought to his shop in 87 after the PO decided to shift from 4th to 3rd doing 130 and promptly mangled the top end. Made him an offer of £1300 which the guy took, dad used it until the tax ran out after about 8 months then parked it in the corner of his shop. Cut the passenger wing open to start rust repairs, realised how bad it was and left it for another day.

I never really knew what the car was until about 14, at which point I completely fell in love with them. After finishing off my mk1 Golf I finally managed to clear out some room in the house and whilst dad was away on holiday I managed to bring it back home and get them side by side ready to surprise him when he came back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200430_123303.jpg
    Screenshot_20200430_123303.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 70

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm a BMW guy to the core, have been since 8 years old when I saw the Alexander Calder CSL at the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh at a Calder Retrospective exhibit in 1976/1977, this was back when it was just a painted race car and nothing more than that.

Thought I would update this with a photo or two when the Calder car & I were reunited in August 2016 at Laguna Seca. Photo of me was taken by Peter Coomaraswamy.

74E5A423-829C-46E1-BBB1-DECB96AA2277.jpeg
6AF78360-76B7-4439-9957-C9D721729520.jpeg

pmansson

Reaction score
My father bought a 2800 CS in June 1971 (I still have it). Chamonix with dark blue vinyl interior. It had been a demo car with BMW in Sweden. Here is the strange part: Munich has informed me that it was built on Jan 22nd, 1969, and yet the chassis number is 2200658. If they bagan production ’in Dec 68, presumably with 2200001, how can my car be number 658, esp as there were the holidays in between. This car had a number od 2000CS parts, that they were using to finish the existing supplies.
I have never understood the number discrepancy....

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Does it have the unique to early coupes only ashtray in the dash rail next to glove box? If it does it was built in Jan, if not, BMW made an error.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In January 1969, I was but a wee little lad in the old country and my neighbor and I were really into cars. There was a French comic book called Michel Vaillant and we would spend hours devouring its pages and then trying to re-draw all the cool sports cars in it on our own.

That winter, he and I heard that BMW was introducing a new sports car. So we asked our parents if we could go to the Brussels Auto Show. We hopped on a few buses and headed straight for the BMW stand. And there is was: the brand new 2800cs. We salivated for a while and then my friend got an idea: They were offering test drives! So why don’t we see if we can get in. Needless to say they just laughed and sent us little kids packing right away. But at the end of the day we thought, before we leave, let’s give it another try. And low and behold, since all the “real“ customers had gone by that time, one of the employees said “All right, I have nothing else to do. Meet me in the parking lot, let’s go for a little drive”. That is a day I would never forget.

Forward many years later, I had moved to the US and I was finally able to act on my impulses. Over time, I bought 3 Tii’s, converted one of them into a race car which I ran with my good buddy Gary Ibusuki, imported one 1600 cabrio and, at last, in 1991 was able to buy my first coupe. I asked our friend Carl Nelson to do the 3.5 / 5 speed conversion and loved every minute of it. But by then we had two little kids with a third in the way and it was either keep the car or buy a house for them. Guess who won? But I always promised myself that after they all grew up I would return to my first passion.

So in 2015, I bought my second coupe. And this one is here to stay!

Last edited: