How do I remove the rear case on a 4 speed Getrag 262?

GGR

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to remove the rear case of a 4 speed Getrag 262 to get the speedo cogs out and fit them in a Getrag 265.

I got the instructions to remove the rear case on a Getrag 265 here : http://www.koalamotorsport.com/e30m3-27-3.htm

Basically, put in second gear, take flange out, undo bolts all around and pull case. That's what I did on the 262 but the case won't come out. Looking closer, that 262 rear case has much more going on than on a 265 one: more alen bolts around the output flange, clips, pins, etc. Do I need to loosen any of those to get the case out ?

Alternatively, is there a way to get the cogs out without removing the case? I tried to pull the cog on the shaft using those dentist looking hooks, but it wouldn't budge.

Thanks in advance for the help !

oz73csi

Reaction score
I haven't actually done this but looking at the manual it appears you may be looking at it from the wrong direction. It looks like you pull the front case off the rear and not visa-versa. In other words all the guts have to come out first. Can anyone else chime in here? If I can figure out how to display the manual pages I'll try to attach them if no-one else can help.
I apologise in advance if this comes out messy , I'm a beginner at posting.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Shameless confession- I have 2 ways to do this…

Best way is hand to gear shop with offer to exchange speedo gears for tranny.
Quick and dirty is take 8 lb maul to case and bust it open.