How do you find your E9 drives?

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
When I was a young Lad, the first non VW Euro car I got a ride in was my friend's Dad's new 72 3.0CS. We went from Montreal to near Toronto (Mosport) to see the Canadian Grand Prix. I will never forget that ride. I sat in the back seat, we were doing near 110 MPH and I was in love with the E9 platform. Years later I bought a couple of Bavarias and drove them pretty hard for about 8 years. Now I have an E36 M3 Sedan and an E46 325 Wagon that I really enjoy as daily driver's, but I still feel a yearning to own a very nice CS Coupe one day. How do you enjoy driving them? Is the handling fun and confidence inspiring, or are they starting to feel like antique cars? Just curious if they are a blast to run through the gears aggressively.

JhwShark

Reaction score
...I still feel a yearning to own a very nice CS Coupe one day. How do you enjoy driving them? Is the handling fun and confidence inspiring, or are they starting to feel like antique cars? Just curious if they are a blast to run through the gears aggressively.

OK...they are fun, handle superb, and inspire confidence (in the platform and its durability)...they are antique but so am I? My Porsche 928 GT is better balanced (weight wise) and turns on rails at speed. But then so does the coupe; get it over 100kph (mine is a Euro) and it rides on rails as well. In the SF Bay Area a cruise on I280 at good speed is a wonderful ride like driving on the German Autobahn...I've had the fortune of cruising my coupe on both!
Jon

verde2002

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have driven mine at 80-85mph on the freeway and it feels very solid and stable. No complaints here.

pamp

Reaction score
Do not try this at home

Before I installed the front spoiler on my coupe, the front end would get light and lift at about 120 mph...all is well now...

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I will give you the most accurate answer I can give, but you should consider this a matter of taste (highly subjective)

I own three cars, including a 1971 3.0 CS, the daily car is a AUDI A4 turbodiesel Avant, this is a superb machine, y live in a very hilly area in the north of spain with enough rain and bended roads and bended highways, that means that the AUDI is performing very well with all his electronics when you ask for power and speed and the road is wet, I usually drive at 120 to 160 Kmh up to 42.000 km per year, mostly in the mentioned highway, 8 litres per 100 km diesel consumption, and so on

...but that is not driving !, that is a mere use of a transport device that moves you from one point to the other in a highgly efficient and functional way

then, when the sky is blue, and the weather forecast is good I woke up 20 minutes earlier, I check the levels, I quickly clean the car with a cloth, and start the engine to warm it up at iddle speed

I wore confortable clothes, and sunglasses, and I prepare myself for a nice driving experience

the sound of the big-six engine is giving you the soundtrack so no additional music is needed, that day the cruising speed is always less than 120 kmh, the car performs smoothly and solid, you have a corresponding feeling and actions according to a classic car, you have to anticipate driving and traffic situations, you have to take into account the reaction of other drivers (owners of new bmw´s will usually slow down to have a better choice of looking at your car), you feel confortable with yourself and with others, you forgive, you become generous,...

and when you happen to be alone in a small road with the adequate proportion of turns, slopes, forests, straight paths, and the river or the sea as neighbour, you feel that you are in the right place with the right car

in the better words or Mr. Conrad (LordJim-Chapter III) “the propeller turned without a check, as though its beat had been part of the scheme of a safe universe”

I can not describe it better:)

so, please, if you have the slightest oportunity,... just do it !

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is a nice description by our bard from Bilbao. Some day I should visit Northern Spain.

My poor man's version of his Bilbao ride was last week-end, visiting our german friends in Santa Cruz. Take Highway 17 over the hills, try to do the entire thing without ever tapping the brakes, lots of anticipation about what others will do like DeQuincey says.
By the time I make it to their driveway they come out recognizing the childhood sound of the M30 engine. Inside a table with cold cuts, cornichons, and rustic breads. A cold beer long ahead of getting back an making the hilly road back home.

Mine feels happiest at 80mph or so in 5th gear, but the 3rd gear is also fun.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a nice description by our bard from Bilbao. Some day I should visit Northern Spain.

you should visit us, sure, I will be happy to offer you a cold heffeweisbier !

by the way, your short and neat description has a profound and elegant implicit taste of ...... satisfaction !

regards

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Great replies. The ride I experienced was at 110 MPH on highway 401 at the age of 13 in a new 72 3.0CS. Very memorable. I had one other ride of note in an E9 as a passenger in a CSL driven at race speed around Mosport by noted expert /builder Marcus Glarner. That was intense.
Thanks for the replies. Hopefully I have some first hand description to add one day.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
The Drive in an E-9

After more than 38 years of "dancing" with the same partner--aka the BLUMAX--and two other E-9's--plus borrowed ones from friends along the way. I haven't as yet tired of the ride delivered by BLUMAX--a close and reliable friendship with his "caregiver". An especially fun ride when very young and original--the E-9 that is--was in 1974--from Walnut Creek to Newport Beach--that considerable distance was covered in 4 hrs and 20 minutes before there were speed limits on our I-5--today that average speed would merit long term sampling of jail food.

Then his tours through BC and Alberta were memorable on his Northern explorations--or his first trip to Monterey in 1974--and then last year the 35th anniversary of that same trip--with visits in several different cars between. Wonder how many cars were attending that event had been driven there 35 years earlier--and when entered in BMW's 1st Concours received 1st place in Super Clean--not many I'd venture. Enjoyed several spirited runs up and down the Big Sur over the years--one of Californias more interesting drives--and cross country runs to visit family in the Midwest with Northerly trips through the Dakotas and Southerly runs through Texas on another occasion.

I was recently reminded by two different auto designer acquaintances of some fame--"you know the E-9 is one of the mosst overlooked and yet drivable classics--and is way under priced". Well such news deserves to be shared here!!

I still marvel at the pleasure he delivers whenever I slide into his seat and head out to Cars 'n Coffee--touching 100 briefly to assure his caregiver that he has been and remains in "good running condition" at 81--oops that's his caregivers age--BLUMAX is only 40+ and remains young in spirit still--with 414,725 miles on the clock.

Lets see--what was the question--oh yes they can be fun to drive and when relentlessly maintained the sound of Munich--their song--goes on and on!!

thehackmechanic

Reaction score
I've had the 3.0CSi for 25 years. I always describe it as a touring car -- very nice for cruising, perhaps not the best choice for nailing through corkscrews. Last week I took the car, which I've been driving little the past 10 years, to Vintage at the Vineyard -- 800 miles each way. Before the trip I worked feverishly installing staggered 16" Alpinas and fresh rubber, lowering the suspension, new shocks, brakes, wheel bearings, on and on. The surprise wasn't that the car cruised well -- that was expected. The surprise was that, when I tried to keep up with some 2002tii guys going through the twisties in North Carolina, I was full view in their rear view mirror; one guy said it was downright intimidating.

There's no confusing the coupe -- or ANY older car -- with something more modern, but how does it drive? Beautifully.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
I find that the faster it goes the more planted it feels when on the motorway and inspires confidence - I am sure the front airdam helps a lot in this regard.

I still havent got my car properly set up for the twisties though.

A while back though it was fun at the lights racing a mondeo ST220 - thats a modern ford with 220bhp and the csl got away by about a car length before the next lights. He was going for it as evidence by the sreech from the front tyres as he changed gear. He rolled down the window at the next lights and gave the thumbs up but was obviously quite shocked at the ability of the old girl. Rear wheel drive ruled the day!

Paul T

Reaction score
I have to agree with most that's been said already.

Driving a car of an E9's age is a huge departure from driving moderns. It's involving, communicative and a sensory experience. I had a Porsche before my CSL and it was just too darn good and everything which meant that there was nothing left for the driver to do - press the pedal and hold on but anyone can do that where as the CSL is rewarding at any speed. It can keep with most sporty and more powerful cars because of its drivability and low weight you just have to think about it more and that's where the fun is.

Driving a modern is like taking a bath with your socks on! No thanks I keep to my 1972 E9 (except when it raining, dark, snowy, in traffic, long haul, load lugging, 5 up, needs to be parked in public, left in a public place, actually anywhere the general public can get to the soft ali panels ........................).

Paul

1972 E9 CSL (1500 fun and satisfying miles per year)
Mercedes CLK V8 (10000 acceptable and reliable miles)

runner

Reaction score
Clearly you have touched on a welcome subject! I have just hadthe pleasure of bringing my 72 CS Fjord (NICE E9) back to Ohio from the San Luis Obispo/Monterey are where it was waiting all Winter- a long wait. I got to drive it along PCH in April before shiping it back, but have only driven it a lot since itarrived back here. My daily driver Audi TT, some times a R8. Both I obviously enjoy, but when I want to "drive" it is the Coupe-windows down.

:-DSeeing all the great E9s at V@V last weekend was fantastic, but I regreted very much not having driven mine - except it was the right decision, only because of the heavy hail storm encountered that Friday night. My problem now is I want the Coupe back out in Monterey for this August's West Coast Concours!