How long did it take?

CSfan

Reaction score
How long did it take you to get your CS? I been looking around for 6 months. Price range is 6-30K. that is such a wide margin. Should I give up?

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've been looking (off and on) for 20 years.
If one fell into my lap that I couldn't resist.... I'd have done it.

I have been seriously 'looking' - 5 years.

Found it last October.

G

Reaction score
Its true there aren't many for sale, so I don't think 6 months is a long time. Have you checked out the CS registry,Roundel magazine,Bmw CCA Websites,Coupe King,La Jolla Independent..
Place a wanted ad I bet you will start getting plenty of emails..6k Coupe !!.....30k should get you a very nice car if your patient.

I'm in eastern Canada there are no coupes here, It took me about a year to find one, 6 months of that was convincing myself that I need one so I can justify the expense..

Seek and you shall find
Good Luck
Giorgo

iconoclast6

Reaction score
It took me about 9 months to research and determine what I was interested in, insofar as the level of car, which model and how much I was willing to spend. Included were, consults with several coupe owners on this site. Once I decided, it took about 7-9 months at http://www.coupeking.com/

There are, and will always be, more things to do and sort out depending on personal taste and emerging issues. Among other things, and after 3 years, I still have yet to pick a pet name for the Agave. This is where things were as of last summer:http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4523

A major factor was that I didn't want to deal with major after purchase issues with respect to performance and cosmetics. This was especially pertinent since I'm not equipped to do the work myself, and trusted coupe mechanics are scarce in NYC. For example, my car has been in NH for the past 3 months. So for me, this is an issue that I accepted with coupe ownership.

I'm sure you seen various scribes discuss the real or imagined values of coupes. Here is one I hadn't seen before: http://www.2-shores-classics.com/investieren_us.html

If you employ a truly diligent search, I think you'll be happier, even if it takes longer than you might want.

E9KNZ047

Reaction score
For me personally it took several years on and off - I gave up for a year or so when on a Saturday morning my next door neighbour (busy restoring a '70's convertible Fiat - he still is !!!) to me not to give up so I went home got the vintage car section of the paper and there was E9 advertised for $11K - rang the mobile number and believe it or not the car was in my suburb stored in a factory for the last 7 years pending the resto. 2 other people had seen the car and were very uncomplimentary and critical of the car to the owner in a bid to drop the price - understandably he took exception to this. I was very keen (first E9 - full of optimism and empty of knowledge) - he asked what I would pay - unfortunately all I could afford was $8K - next day he told me it was mine on the condition that he could tell the other 'buyers' what he had sold it to me for just to rack them off - true story but it gets wierder - that was maybe 6 years ago
Earlier this year my e9 was rammed in the back and front $18K damage - a soul destroying time given my resto was virtually complete - good friend at work lived through the trauma and repair process with me over the ritual morning coffee break - as the repair was near completion we wondered waht the hell we would talk about now so the decision was made - he needed a project car so we could have something to talk
about - I recommended an E9 (as you would) he wanted a Fiat 124 (don't ask me) - a Fiat was chosen and off we (me in the E9)went to check it out - we got lost on the way and as I was parked beside the road this guy comes up from park and says ' Hey man - I got a car just like yours in my garage - have a look you may want it for parts - belonged to my girls old man - deceased estate'. We checked the Fiat ($5k) - it was terminal - went back to check the E9 - it was very grubby but absolutely complete - auto was dead but very tidy inside - I am thinking $10k just based on the body condition alone - guy and girl wanted $4K - my friend was told by me on no uncertain terms you either buy this tonight or I will - he bought it and is now a member on this board. Just to make it spookier the guy who was selling the car was from Napier New Zealand and used to live around the corner from my grandparents
Can only put it down to fate[/i]

pj

Reaction score
It took me about 28yrs all told, I got my 1st one when I was 8 (scalelectic slot car that kicked ass).I went through a whole bunch of other carsand then my interest in coupes started up again, After my daughter was born and about 2yrs of 1/2 looking I found my coupe down in Palm springs.So I got it inspected , and bought a plane ticket from San Jose to LA 7 hr delay due to Fog in San Jose (was this a sign) . A good friend picked me up and we went to Palm Springs.The car had a broken spoiler was dirty and ran like crap ,sort of dissapointed but seen the potential. Made the deal and started the 300+mile drive home Car ran great after the "Italian Tune up' up and over the Grapevine and into the the Tooly Fog , I had the company of a new 6 series for about 50 miles . eventuly got home about 21hrs round trip. Was it worth it . Yess indeed.

cdk2921

Reaction score
There was a green coupe parked In Berkeley, Ca at Claremont and Avelon (just near the resort) and I always saw it sitting there. (anyone here??) I haven't seen it for about a year or 2 so they must have sold it.
I thought those were really pretty cars with a great stance but never thought I would get the opportunity to own one until I saw mine at Fantasy Junction. It took a few years to find my coupe but I'm totally satisfied.
I have been the proud owner of my 3.0CS for almost 3 years with various trips to Monterey, Sacramento, and going to Portland in a few months.
Hope you all love your coupes as much as I do!

pamp

Reaction score
Too Cool

Hmm... a 124 Fiat vs E9. And saved a grand to boot. You'all can correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that the Fiat of "fix it again Tony" fame? Not many left, and rare, as they had an irritating tendancy to blow up in flames. A Yugo in most recent incarnation. See "Killing Mona". Too bad you let your buddy score, I would demand visitation rights at least. Don't lift.

steve in reno

Reaction score
I had never seen an e9 before.
Of course that was 26 years ago.
I saw it, I bought it, and now have created the one I love.
My wife continually complains about not being able to park her new car in the garage.
My true statement to her is, "the BMW was in the garage when you came and will be there when you leave, now park in the driveway". She is very forgiving and now loves the coupe also!
My son will inherit my BMW when I die, and has always said that I love my car more than him. That is not entirely true!
I know that I could never get the money out of my car that I have put into it, but I didn't do the resto for a sale. There are very few bolts on this coupe that I personally have not turned.
I just love to drive this car!!!
And the memories. Can't tell you all of them.
steve

acat2002

Reaction score
Re: I have a few unique 2000CS/3.0CS coupes available.....

bimmerbros said:
in the san francisco bay area starting at $10,900 for the black 2000CS, $11,900 for the baikal blue CSI [that needs some love but a strong platform] $18,900 for baikal blue CSi, $26,900 for yellow CS and somewhere near $55k for the very special white one.
- shameless plug I remember seeing that Golf car on eBay several times over the past year or so. No bites?, you mean Chic didn't see the incredible value there?

I have a ride-on lawn tractor I'm looking to sell. Paid $1,200 4 years ago. Will sacrifice for $1,500. Also, I have a three lugnuts and a bent rim that I'd consider selling if the price was right.....and if you're truly desperate, I'll sell you my Merc ML55 with more miles than the space shuttle for $15,000.

Sorry bimmerbros, it was sort of a layup :wink: I'm up late working and am getting a little cranky.

Seriously though, be patient and keep looking. Don't be afraid to pony up strong money for the right car. Valuation aside, spend the most money you can possibly afford to buy the very best example you can find. That means spend money to have a qualified vintage car expert familar with coupes look at it......thoroughly. No matter how cool you think the car is when you look at it, the festival of pain begins when you figure out what it truly costs to restore (or unrestore in some cases) these cars.

If you spend $5k on a coupe, it may cost you $20k to make it a "driver" and $40k to make it "average" (if the body cooperates). Conversely, spend over $30k on a properly restored and documented car and you'll enjoy ownership much more. I'm relatively new to coupe ownership and don't want to come across as the "Yoda" of coupedom and there are people on this board that can testify far more reliably on the matter, but I believe this to be true.

It took me more than a year of dilligent searching. I went through various phases. Education, trying to understand "value" of these cars, dissapointment, more education, denial (thinking I could be satisfied with a bondo-queen if the price was right). Love my coupe, but if I had to do it over again, I'd have hoarded more money for another year and bought a truly exceptional example. - FWIW

Good Luck :D

bmwmadman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I got a little crazy when I decided to sell my 2002 after 20 yrs of ownership. Only after about 2 months of looking -jump right into an ebay transaction. Yes - sight unseen bought a stock white 2800cs. Took it to La Jolla Ind and had an assessment after the fact. Good results and sound body - lucky me.

Then 3 months after that I thought I would try my luck again. This time I bought a silver injected model with all the advertised goodies. The car was advertised to be fully restored, documented with a new 3.5/ 5 speed etc etc. The owner (a used car dealership) was not so honest and knew exactly was he was selling. Needless to say, the second transaction just about killed my marriage as the car was a pile of S_ _T. I overpaid about 4X for it..

I can go on and on about my effort and the turns this story takes. In the end the moral of the story is that you have to be patience. Don't jump into any transaction quickly as unraveling could take you years. As Acat mentions, get the car assessed before you buy it. There are good deals out there but the cleaner the car you start with the less you have to put into it.. In my case, the gem I was looking for was already in my garage (2800cs)

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
let me echo pj, it took me more than half a lifetime. i had the models and slotcars when i was a kid and i've saved every magazine that i found with articles on coupes since the early 80's. but, i've only been in a position to afford an "extra" car (ie: not daily driver) for the past few years -- which happens to be when i started looking seriously for a coupe (and collecting parts for the inevitable). so, a quick check of my emails tells me that it took almost two years to find mine.
this forum has been a blessing and a curse: i learned a lot about what it would be like to actually own one from it but i also cringed when a coupe i located showed up on the forum as "not mine..." followed by a link. :twisted:
probably the best advice for me with my (very) limited bodywork experience was to find the best, most rust-free car that i could afford. like many guys/gals on the board, i'm no malc, chicane, vraner, etc and am amazed by and applaud their efforts. at the same time, i can't afford a total rehab ala ronp (not to pick on ron or his clients). balancing these two to find a car whose only problems i could either fix myself or afford to have repaired probably is the reason it took me so long. i'm happy with mine, so the patience was rewarded.
good luck!

Matt C

Reaction score
I recently joined this forum and what I'm about to write feels sinful because I have never been able to enjoy this car but...
I have a 1971 CSI with power sunroof 99% restored (I have a real problem with people that say "fully restored" after some of the cars that I have looked at). With roughly 45 to 50 thousand invested. I have owned it for 12 years and it has been on blocks for the last 5. Waiting for carpet and a new cable for the sunroof... I know I should be shot. Sadly I have only put about 6k miles on it myself. It does need a few odds and ends that I would be happy to finish. It is charcoal gray. The car is not at Paul Cain's 3.8 level but I would not be ashamed to park next to it.

Motor, harness & ECU out of a 1988 6 series with only 11k original miles on it (long story. Great Score)

Getrag 265 5speed

Limit Slip rear end

16" Alpina wheels (tires need to be replaced due to age)

Two sets of Recaro seats. One std set out of a 80's 3 series I think, that needs to be reupholstered and one set of mint cond Recaro orthopedics conditioned yearly and stored in original boxes.

Beautiful sound system. MB Quart separates, JL sub, PPI five channel amp. System is hidden so interior still looks stock with a modern deck.

Bilstein shocks, sway bars and springs from La Joya Ind

Front air dam

I could go into great detail but if you are interested we can talk.

Matt C

Honolulu

Reaction score
shoots...

I wasn't looking at all, but one Sunday saw an ad for a '73 in the paper. Over the hill just to check it out, driving my '72 2002tii, which at the time had new paint, new factory long block, rebuilt trans and a very nice interior.

Well the car was beautiful but the auto trans a little weak. The seller's business was mobile phones (this was a long time ago, when supposedly there was money to be made selling the clunky things). He had just moved back from the mainland to Oahu, and needed cash. Told me the wife "didn't like the car" and preferred her new Buick. Okay be me. Asking $10,500. Wife and I went for a brief ride, then back to his garage and after some beating around the bush he says "What's your offer?" and I respond $9,500 (though I still wasn't really certain I wanted the car). This was just a well-why-not kind of a shot in the dark. He said okay!

Half payment by check on the spot, the other half when he delivered to my office the following day. But when he left with the wife, he inadvertently took the key with him. Brought it right to me that night after I called to inquire.

Since then the auto trans was replaced by a four speed, then a five speed. I got a set of NOS headers on it for maybe a hundred bucks. It already had the limited slip (which I didn't discover until I owned it a year or two). Now fifteen years later, it needs a repaint and the front upholstery is coming apart at some seams. The engine smokes a bit (some say a lot) but eventually I will pull the head and at that point likely check the rings and pistons too. I have a "spare" 735i on hand which runs well....