How many Csi's stateside...

m73

Reaction score
If they built ~8,000 euro only models and let's say 1/8 were imported, that would be only about 1,000 coupes. Neat little club to be a part of, the real number might be around 500 or less.

These coupes are a very rare combination of everything, I can't describe it all, but style + numbers + moderism + etc....

MF

m73

Reaction score
Sounds good gents....I will have to take a look soon.

Thanks,

MF

twistinglane

Site Donor
Reaction score
My '73 started out in Italy. I have a couple questions myself...

Was there ever any kind of organized gray market importing? Or was it all one by one by individual owners?

I also noticed that some of our cars escaped much federalization. Mine (early 80s import) kept euro speedo, engine not messed with. Maybe rules tightened sometime in the 80s?

Curious how many BMW D-jet cars were made? I don't recall a seeing a statistic on 3.0Si by year (after '75 would have been L-jets)

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
...I bought one of those pedestrian RHD CSI's back in the late 80's and apparently only 207 were made (according to BMW) . So, given the rust cancer factor statistic , only 3.5 remain :D....CSL's are soooo yesterday !

Bwana

Reaction score
My '73 started out in Italy. I have a couple questions myself...

Was there ever any kind of organized gray market importing? Or was it all one by one by individual owners?

I also noticed that some of our cars escaped much federalization. Mine (early 80s import) kept euro speedo, engine not messed with. Maybe rules tightened sometime in the 80s?

Curious how many BMW D-jet cars were made? I don't recall a seeing a statistic on 3.0Si by year (after '75 would have been L-jets)

Me too, but a '72 (do-da do-da). Imported in 1996 I think, via Amsterdam. No apparent federalization, i.e., no smog, speedo, shoulder belts, etc.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have 6 csi's in my shop right now. Just one step below the csl statt version.
If you can't have a csl the next rung is the csi.

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
I had removed my front and rear side makers from the federalizations process years ago. Today I went to replace the lenses for my front turn indicators with new ones I bought awhile ago (euro lenses) and just realized they had also replaced the indicators during the federalization process and I have US spec indicators so they did not fit. Has anyone ever trimmed the deflector behind the lamp inside the fixture to make it smaller for the euro lenses to fit?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, all you do is put a drum sander attachement onto a Dremel and sand off about 1/4 inch following the contor of the reflector. Easy.

I had removed my front and rear side makers from the federalizations process years ago. Today I went to replace the lenses for my front turn indicators with new ones I bought awhile ago (euro lenses) and just realized they had also replaced the indicators during the federalization process and I have US spec indicators so they did not fit. Has anyone ever trimmed the deflector behind the lamp inside the fixture to make it smaller for the euro lenses to fit?

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve,

I just noticed you had clarified the same question earlier in the Italian Turn Signal Lenses thread below. It pays to read every thread carefully (I was only looking at the pics!)