How much steering play is okay in e9?

taylorcom

Reaction score
It could be #6. After searching the web, the closest image I found is the one below (posted on this site by Ed G.). The missing bolt goes in the hole just above and to the left of the arm that connects at the bottom of the box. (The 2 bolts that go in the hole to the immediate right of the arm are in place.)

I just took a second look and noticed that when I turn the u-joint, the box itself shifts position ... not good.
1638206715357.png

Last edited:

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
Good detective work!

I hope the bolt is missing versus having broken. It will be more of a hassle if any part of a bolt is still in that bolt hole. Maybe stick a piece of wire in there and feel around?

I think all three bolts are identical so you should be able to take a second one out and find a match for all of them.

taylorcom

Reaction score
Blinkling, Yes, good idea to make sure the threaded bolt-end is not broken off (a nightmare scenario). Are you sure all 3 bolts are the same size? From 3moon's diagram, there may be a difference between the single bolt on the left and the 2 bolts on the right.

wilies13

Reaction score
huuu....missing bolts on the housing of a steering box;
together with "play"
and at least for me unclear (mechanics) history are making me nervous.....

be careful my friend !

Last edited:

taylorcom

Reaction score
Just the one missing bolt, wilies13 ... will be careful, thanks. I've owned the car since '85, so know its history pretty well. However, I've no idea where that bolt went.

Last edited:

pickman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I too am suspect of the steering lash or lag on the 73 E9. All components are new and sometimes at certain speeds it feels like I am aiming the car not steering. Not sure if there is an adjustment on the steering gear to reduce the lag?? Years ago we built and raced M38A1 (army jeeps) these you definitely aimed no steering just hope you aim right.

taylorcom

Reaction score
It appears that Blinkling's warning was correct: I poked into the hole with a wire and the bolt does seem to have broken. The 2 bolts on the righthand side of the steering box needed tightening, but feel solid.

Now I'm wondering how the bolt broke ... is there that much force on the steering box?

Next question is how to get the box out of the way so I can drill out the broken bolt end. Input is welcome.

3moons

Site Donor
Reaction score
Spray down the broken bolt area with PB blaster or equivalent and let it work in overnight.

Have you confirmed that the bolt broke off at or below the sub frame mounting surface? Anything left above to grab onto? If not, read on…

Before removing the steering box, and with the two remaining bolts slightly tightened down, I would insert into the box bolt hole a snug(~10mm OD?) sleeve/bushing/tube/pipe cut down(leave it long enough to pull out with pliers later) and appropriate to the drill bit diameter to function as one of these:
1638702693661.jpeg

That way the drilled hole should be on axis for the bolt extractor. I don’t know if you could use the extractor with the steering box in place. Either way, doing this first should make it easier.

No E9 in my driveway to look at but, on my E3 that’s a real tight space to work in. Obviously, separating the ball joints at the Pitman arm and tie rod would give you more room.

You might have to use a right angle drill or other angle attachment to get in there. Use plenty of cutting oil.

I would replace ALL THREE bolts with new of the proper hardness. I don’t know that the two smaller bolts are available from BMW. If the steering box was loose and in motion while driving it could have flexed, torqued(off axis) and fatigued the two remaining bolts. That could mean more drilling at a later date if not replaced.

Hope this helps.

- S

taylorcom

Reaction score
Thanks, 3moons. I've been wondering if it's possible to remove the broken bolt with the steering box still in place. I can't tell if the bolt broke off above or below the mounting surface. It's a tight space, but I think a small drill can squeeze in.

Last edited:

3moons

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, 3moons. I've been wondering if it's possible to remove the broken bolt with the steering box still in place. I can't tell if the bolt broke off above or below the mounting surface. It's a tight space, but I think a small drill can squeeze in.
where did you get the small drill is it real?
I don’t own the drill, found the photo. Probably doesn’t work. Just a great piece of miniature art.

This one does work, however:
1638775326459.jpeg
Got one for Christmas as a kid. Made by the Ideal Toy Company, part of their Power Mite line. They had a whole line of functional miniature power tools; routers, sanders, circular saws, etc.. Still available on eBay, of course.

This one really works, too, no joke:
1638776110973.jpeg

(Not my dirty fingernails.)