How the Addiction Started

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was cleaning out our basement, forgot I had this framed. My first car......................

IMG_4659.jpg

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am old enough to remember that Capri. But it was neither sexy, nor did it look European to me. But if I am reading that window sticker correctly it did have a final price of $3,608.00. With a list of NO CHARGE opitions that probably brought it in hundreds and hundreds of dollars less than a comparable, 1974 2002tii. And, it was a Ford product so you could haggle with the sales person, guaranteed to be a male of my gender in those days.

And here;s a sort of comp. In the Spring of 1971 I bought my only brand new BMW, a 1600 with zero options for $3,000. But I have attached the window sticker for a1972 tii,

I chuckle over the long list of items Max, out of the generosity of his warm heart, more chuckling, provided FREE OF CHARGE. And the equally long list of options the buyer paid for, including anti-freeze.

Note the final price of the tii, including the Federal Excise Tax on the tires and "tubes" - $4,697. A whopping $1,089. difference between your Capri and the BMW.

Feel free to correct my math. I am working in the area of higher mathematics for me.

5280JB

Reaction score
A '74 Capri was my second car (following a '67 Mercury Cougar). At the time ('77) I was looking for something more economical on gas than a muscle car, but was still sporty enough to have fun driving it. All of my part time restaurant tip money went towards upgrade parts and I had a ton of fun with it. Many after market parts and suppliers (i.e. RokStock) were supporting these cars back then. This car launched my interest in European cars that has lasted ever since. Although it was marketed in the U.S. via Mercury dealers, it still had euro features that I grew to appreciate, such as instrument gauge symbols instead of text to identify them (fuel, temp, etc.), headlight switch design that prohibited you from shutting down the car but leaving the headlights on, and a funky map light on the passenger side "A" pillar. Its V6 with manual trans gave it enough grunt to have fun with through any twisties. Not saying it was among history's best cars, but it was a good stop on my car journey. I think I paid $2,500 for it, with low miles and really good cosmetic condition. Fun times.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@5280JB, did your Mercury Cougar have the stacatto turn signals? I saw them on a Cougar in 1969? Loved them ever since.

5280JB

Reaction score
@CSteve - Yes, it sure did! They weren't working when I got it but with the electrical skills of my Dad, we got them fixed. I don't have a good pic of those tail lights, but here's a pic of the Cougar and the Capri (in glorious low res film print quality).
Jim

67 Cougar.1.jpg

74 Capri Rear.jpg

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I so lusted after anything with Fat tires in that period of my life. I have the original Bill of sale on my bone stock 72' 2002 as well as all the maintenance logs the owner did till he passed away. You can see his hand writing get less precise towards the end, but ever vigilant. Love looking through the paper work. Apparently he was an eccentric , as he would lie under it on weekends and apply his home devised Rust proofing formula, which involved a gun oil component I am told. It was bought in Ottawa. Probably the most rust free car to have lived in this Lattitude it's entire life. I'll post my Bill of Sale when I get home next week. I was told by his Buddy that sold me the car how much he missed him and how funny he was.

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I had a Dotson 510 and it was really cool a friend had a Capri. That was a fairly nice car for those days.
I love the fact that the TII had a heatable rear window, not sure that meant it ever heated up

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
To answer your question Bob, my addiction started long before I was old enough to drive. And in New York State that was an amazingly low age: 14!! And shortly after reaching that magic number my best friend and I were tooling across Long Island in his Aunt Lillian's 1956 Ford ragtop. My first car, a 1940 Ford Sedan I quickly dropped a 1954 Olds V8 motor and La Salle transmission into and off I went to the drag races. On the public highways. What a time we had!!!

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
My addiction started with my mom's oddball cars. They had to be front wheel drive, for the snow, and they had to be automatic. So the first car I remember was a 1973 Audi 100LS two door, in brown. Then a VW Dasher, and then an Audi Coupe GT. I found the latter in the classifieds, it was about a year old, and I was 15. I talked my mom into it (That wasn't hard). The price was $10,800. I drove it on my first date.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
My addiction started with my CCM Mustang bike. Came out about the same time as the Ford version. Was similar to a Schwinn Stingray. Canada had protection when it came to bicycles, so we never saw a Stingray. Then we got the auto pact. My love of personal mobility sprang directly from that. Mum drove fast too. (French Canadian Lady)

Drew Gregg

Site Donor
Reaction score
I attended a show 2 weekends ago that was a continuation of the Boca Concours, a very prestigious show in Boca Raton that had famous people like Jay Leno as the master of ceremonies. This year it was a duel show with Concours vehicles and motorcycles on one lot ,and nice C&C cars in the adjacent lot. Wayne Carini was the guest.
An all-original Capri was in the Concours section,along with 1930's Cadillacs, Dusenbergs and the other cars you would expect to see in a first-class Concours.
Here are some pics of the event.
Carini was quite friendly and came over to the C&C section to take pics of the cars and their owners.

Attachments

• IMG_6853.jpg
    IMG_6853.jpg
    736 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6864.jpg
    IMG_6864.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_6865.jpg
    IMG_6865.jpg
    450.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6866.jpg
    IMG_6866.jpg