How tho separate the ignition key tumbler from the steering column cylinder? Microswitch in the way.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have read most of the threads on removing the ignition lock from the steering column.

After much sweating and swearing, I got the whole cylinder out. The problem is that now I cannot separate the lock/tumbler from the cylinder. I have read as much as I could find but nothing seems to work. One thing that is different on mine vs the others in the above threads is a microswitch of some sort with wiring that is attached to the cylinder. It does not look like it can be taken apart. I wonder if that is why the tumbler won't come out. Any thought on how to get that tumbler out so I can have it rekeyed?

Thank you.

IMG_4931.jpg

IMG_4930.jpg

IMG_4932.jpg

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In your first pic you have 2 small holes, are there small grub screws or circ pins in one or both holding the cylinder in?

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
I think you insert a pick to release the cylinder. When still in the car use a bent wire or coat hanger.

This - you have to push firmly and it doesn't move all that much, but it will depress and release the key switch. A dull ice pick or something with a handle allows you to push harder.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
just did it this weekend. The round aluminium cilinder has a few openings. One is about 3 mm across and directly above the key cilinder. (Just not visible in your own pictures, as it is oriented in your first pic to the left). Insert a small screwdriver and push the underlying spring. Use your third hand to the pull the cilinder out by the key (inserted and twisted so it holds).
here's some pics to show where you have to push on the internal spring.

When you have it out, you can check the key code of the cilinder ; two letters ( Capital and small) and 3 digits.

Just to note: when reinstalling just slide the lock cilinder back in. the spring will snap in place. Take care, inside the alu cilinder there are some small parts. I think ( but not sure) that you can accidentally rotate or dislocate these small parts. Make a picture of the internals as soon as you have the lock cilinder out, to document their position just to be sure that you know how it should look like.

Attachments

• 20210417_211700.jpg
    20210417_211700.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 116
  • 20210417_211715.jpg
    20210417_211715.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210417_211744.jpg
    20210417_211744.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Erik's got it. Just so you are aware, you can re-index that ignition to match the doors etc. It's my understanding it's the easiest of all the locks to do. The trunk is the hardest. Not sure why

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
just did it this weekend. The round aluminium cilinder has a few openings. One is about 3 mm across and directly above the key cilinder. (Just not visible in your own pictures, as it is oriented in your first pic to the left). Insert a small screwdriver and push the underlying spring. Use your third hand to the pull the cilinder out by the key (inserted and twisted so it holds).
here's some pics to show where you have to push on the internal spring.

When you have it out, you can check the key code of the cilinder ; two letters ( Capital and small) and 3 digits.

Just to note: when reinstalling just slide the lock cilinder back in. the spring will snap in place. Take care, inside the alu cilinder there are some small parts. I think ( but not sure) that you can accidentally rotate or dislocate these small parts. Make a picture of the internals as soon as you have the lock cilinder out, to document their position just to be sure that you know how it should look like.
Perfect! As always, a picture is indeed worth a thousand words and this was again the case.
Thank you Erik and all who replied!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Erik's got it. Just so you are aware, you can re-index that ignition to match the doors etc. It's my understanding it's the easiest of all the locks to do. The trunk is the hardest. Not sure why
Yes, that is what I was told by Santa Monica Lock and safe as well. So the ease of work for the locksmith is inversely proportional to that of the car owner/restorer. Great...