how to clean plastic reservoirs ?

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i have tried to find it , but i cant

i recall this was discussed long time ago

and it was kind of a conclusion about how to clean the old white plastic reservoirs

any final idea ?

thanks

p.s. interested in the brake fluid one;

1705580066087.png

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
This is amazing timing. I was wondering this last night since I'm putting my NSX reservoir back on and it needs cleaning. Nice!

Dowst

Reaction score
Two possibilities, or both, for that inverted feature. Looking at one on hand, the flashing from the molding process in perpendicular to that “hole”. Possible that this feature was designed into the vessel to be where it was pushed out from the mold in production.

Other possibility is that these Ate bottles are hardly unique to the E9–some version was used in essentially every European car produced for 40-50 years. Ate would have specifically configured fluid vessels for each contracted application, but would be drawing off a basic catalog of bottles, then reconfigure somewhat for each application. Many applications (eg Porsche),
use a very similar bottle, but instead of the plastic “bracket” piece plastic riveted to the bottle like in this E9 bottle, used a metal bracket to fasten to desired location. That “divot” served as a locating element (bracket would have a boss feature to fit inside) to keep the bottle stationary/prevent rotation.

Dowst

Reaction score
You might try vapor-honing to restore plastic like that, looks like there was some improvement made with the Hydrogen Peroxide, probably good enough once you fill with brake fluid.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Two possibilities, or both, for that inverted feature. Looking at one on hand, the flashing from the molding process in perpendicular to that “hole”. Possible that this feature was designed into the vessel to be where it was pushed out from the mold in production.

Other possibility is that these Ate bottles are hardly unique to the E9–some version was used in essentially every European car produced for 40-50 years. Ate would have specifically configured fluid vessels for each contracted application, but would be drawing off a basic catalog of bottles, then reconfigure somewhat for each application. Many applications (eg Porsche),
use a very similar bottle, but instead of the plastic “bracket” piece plastic riveted to the bottle like in this E9 bottle, used a metal bracket to fasten to desired location. That “divot” served as a locating element (bracket would have a boss feature to fit inside) to keep the bottle stationary/prevent rotation.

it is interesting, but I see no way how the Bottle would rotate as there are two hoses plus a third one connected

Dowst

Reaction score
it is interesting, but I see no way how the Bottle would rotate as there are two hoses plus a third one connected
The idea is that the hoses aren’t desirable as a safe means to prevent the bottle from rotating/moving. You’ll notice a “ridge” also that anchors the bottle from vertical movement.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have some over spray on the horns from paint work that was done in the 90's. The black ABS was dulled by low pressure vapor honing in my test, so I would be concerned about trying it on the white brake fluid or washer fluid bottles which are much more visible.

Dowst

Reaction score
Are these bottles not available new? Are the new ones “different”? In my experience, I have yet to find a process that will make an old, translucent plastic bottle that has yellowed, look like a new one. Sad but true. I will for sure try this Peroxide treatment.

If it can’t be bleached, the only real option is to remove the yellowed material, assuming it is just in the surface and not all the way through, was thinking VH could be a decent solution since it will likely “dull” the material, but this also lightens it at the same time, maybe not bad for a white/clear matte vessel.

Only one way to find out! I would probably go to town with various solvents.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Brake fluid bottles are available, but only with new style clear/white plastic lids (rather than the original black lids). Use solvent with care as some will start to soften and dissolve plastic leaving an unsuitable finish.