how to plug port in fuel rail

alanmcg

Reaction score
if you look closely at the pic below you will see my hack-mechanic solution to plug an unused port in the fuel rail: a bolt stuck in end of the fuel line, secured by hose clamp. sfdon looked at my car a few weeks ago and pronounced 'I flatly reject that!' I agree, but have not come up with a suitably clean solution to plug this (high-pressure) fuel port.

any and all ideas welcome,
tia,
alanmcg

Attachments

• gas line.jpg
    gas line.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 160

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
This may require the services of a professional welder who has experience in aluminum welding. Cut and grind off the barbed nipple at the tubular rail base, fabricate a suitable gauge aluminum plate and have it completely welded onto the fuel rail.

P.S.
Turns out the fuel rail is made out of steel, but nevertheless, the above method still applies. Still need an expert welder though. Don't know if just plugging the small hole with a series of spot weld will work. It will be mighty dangerous if it ruptures at the spot weld and spills gasoline into a hot engine bay.

Last edited:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Don't plug it- use it. install the cold start injector and make the car look stock.

Attachments

• 1973-bmw-30cs-043.jpg
    1973-bmw-30cs-043.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 134