How to refit Interior door handles.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have had the door cards off a couple of times in the past and need to do so again. However in the past I have always struggled with the refitting the front door handles, the middle screw is the difficult one.
Does any one have advice or suggestions that they can share?
Prodding around with something sharp and swearing does not seem to work as well as I would like it to.
Thanks Charles

Rek

Reaction score
Do you the the correct screw? Is is a normal thread but expands towards the head to force out the splines on the male section into the handle.

It should not be difficult. If it is, then something is wrong.

jmackro

Reaction score
I agree with Cornishman - starting that screw always seems to be a struggle. I have never found a better procedure than prodding around with something sharp and swearing. I use an awl to line up the parts and show the correct angle to insert the screw. I also begin with the hardest screw to get right, which as he says, is often the middle one. Of course, don't tighten any fasteners until all are started.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i have found it easiest to start with the screw in the middle. have the screwdriver in the screw and poke it through the handle and guide it into the hole ... tighten it a few screws, then go to the rear screw. its about getting the angle memory right

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott has it correct. I start with the machine thread screw in the the chrome spacer, then line up the remaining coarse thread screws, they are different. At least I think they are different!

Last edited:

Rek

Reaction score
Sorry - for handles I thought that the lever. I use the method as above - start with the front lower one and not tighten anything until all are fixed.

Cornishman

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
I am not sure that I have the correct screws. Next time I am brave enough to dismantle I will check that, but do not have a reference to compare them with. If any one does then please post a photo.
I need to align the window which has moved so I guess some other screws have come lose. Plenty of other threads to follow so I hope I will be ok on that task.
Once again thanks for your help.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
i set the back long one screw first then the middle and the top after
that way you can angle the handle to align the back screw i stick it out with the screwdriver on it
and hit the hole then tignten