How to tell what side a window motor is

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Left side, if looking at the car from the back. The regulator's input (the tiny gear) faces the outside of the car.

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
This window motor is the later style unit from the 5 and 6 series. Don't think this motor is going to work with the coupe window regulators. The window regulators on the later cars are completely different in design. The original e9 motors have their gear drives on the side edge and not the side facing gear sprocket in the picture.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just replaced 3 of my motors last month. 22 bucks apiece from the boneyard. You need the rear motors from a 5 series. BTW- They are sided. BTWx2 I have a drivers side motor in front of me- it looks 180 degrees different from your pic?

Malc

Reaction score
sfdon said:
Just replaced 3 of my motors last month. 22 bucks apiece from the boneyard. You need the rear motors from a 5 series. BTW- They are sided. BTWx2 I have a drivers side motor in front of me- it looks 180 degrees different from your pic?

Look for motors out of Saab 900's (1979 - 1993) as they the same I think

x_atlas0

Reaction score
bert35csi said:
This window motor is the later style unit from the 5 and 6 series. Don't think this motor is going to work with the coupe window regulators. The window regulators on the later cars are completely different in design. The original e9 motors have their gear drives on the side edge and not the side facing gear sprocket in the picture.

Bert
72 3.5 CSi
88 M6

I've got a similar unit pair in my coupe. You have to cut off a flange on the regulator and use only 2 of the mounting holes on the gearset. Other than that, it works quite well. The wiring is a little different, but not by much.