Howdy from Texas!

RRussellTx

Reaction score
Hi from Texas,

I’m just a guy that likes to work on projects. I’m not terribly skilled but I try to make up for that with patience and perseverance (key word is try). I’m currently building a Factory Five Replica of a 1965 Cobra. I had been driving the car for a couple of years before starting the painting process a few months ago. Dad owned a body shop in the 70's so he's helping me learn that part along the way. Check out my poorly maintained build thread here:
https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/sho...iversary-MK4-Build-Thread-10-of-20-8697/page4

This is the package I started with:
https://www.factoryfive.com/whats-new/day-19-of-20-20th-anniversary-mk4-roadster-revealed/

The reason I’m here is to do some research for what may become my next project. My dad bought a couple of 2800CS’s back in the late 80’s/early 90’s. They were definitely both Project Cars but they each had what the other one didn’t. Since then, they have been sitting in his garage collecting dust. He is beginning to realize that he is past the age where it sounds like fun to do anything with them so I’m trying to help.

Although the project sounds like it would be fun, I’m skeptical about the feasibility of actually pulling it off. I’m here looking for threads of others that have tackled their own bodywork or restorations. Looking for how hard it is to find parts that might be needed. Also looking to find out if any of the spare parts left over would be worth anything to help fund the effort. Any links or words of encouragement/discouragement would also be appreciated.

Both cars are tan on tan.

1970 2800CS – 2280236
bought in 1989 from a little old couple in New York – 46,000miles
Bad rust on most of the car
New front clip on the car with no rust from previous repair
Good motor – 46,000 miles
Automatic
Very good interior when it was put away 30 years ago.

1971 2800CS - 2270275
Texas car for at least the 80's - bought in the mid 90's
No rust
Poorly repaired front clip from previous wreck
Top end missing from motor (salvage title due to the missing head)
Manual Transmission

Both cars had Air Conditioning - is that normal?

In addition to assessing the feasibility of actually pulling this project off - I’m also interested in learning the value of the cars as they sit vs. the value of them combined and driving. in other words, is the juice worth the squeeze? This is only one many project opportunities that I have to choose from in his garage and I probably won't get started for another year - that is, unless he just decides to sell them.

Thanks,
Richard

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Welcome, plenty of experts here to help on this project (I'm not one so I'll just listen!)
eating-popcorn-emoticon.gif

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Howdy, Richard,

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have enough pieces to make one good car, but pictures speak volumes, especially when it comes to evaluating rust and so on. I bet we can give you some ideas of what to expect.

Ed Z
Cedar Park, Texas

RRussellTx

Reaction score
Well, he's a few hours away and I've been keeping my distance lately given their age and my exposure level.

This is a shot from a few months ago when we started the body work on the Cobra and they happened to be in the background. Dad owned a body shop in the 70's so he's teaching me some skills although much has changed since then. I have since moved my car up to Dallas and I probably won't make it back down there for a while. Also, Dads not real motivated about moving them out into the open and getting a good look at them yet. That's why I'm here getting information to see if it's worth pushing him or not.

I know the picture does not show much (except how much love they need), but I know how much you guys need a pic fix.
IMG_2137.jpeg

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan. Totally worth making one good car from the two you have.
Plus when you are done, you will have leftover parts (trim, interior) that will have some value and help others complete their cars.

Strip the rust free car and build from there.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'd unload the one w/the bad rust unless it's too far gone, then strip it and crush it.

GOod luck! These cars can fetch >$100k if done to "number 1 levels".

RRussellTx

Reaction score
I'd unload the one w/the bad rust unless it's too far gone, then strip it and crush it.

GOod luck! These cars can fetch >$100k if done to "number 1 levels".

Thanks, I never considered saving them both. I’ll run it past you guys before we get started to see what you think.

I plan on taking the best parts off of each car for the one I’m keeping. I was planning to just sell the lesser parts so they could go to a better home. But if someone might want to take a crack at the pile that’s left over then that’s an interesting thought. I would hate to terminate the car if someone wanted to save it. I’m just not that guy.

Are there any recommended build threads that give an example of bringing a basket case back to life?

Last edited: