Hurrican Ian

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Good luck to those in hurricane Ian's path! Are any of you guys down there leaving the area? I guess they still don't know where it's going to hit.

Dan

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. I am on the Sanibel City Council, so I and my family are evacuating to a hotel in Fort Myers with the rest of the city staff. Well away from the surge. My house on the island backs to a canal, and the surge may rise 8-12 feet here. Let's hope they are wrong.
The cars are all moved well inland (I hope). Hopefully I won't need Hagerty for them.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks. I am on the Sanibel City Council, so I and my family are evacuating to a hotel in Fort Myers with the rest of the city staff. Well away from the surge. My house on the island backs to a canal, and the surge may rise 8-12 feet here. Let's hope they are wrong.
The cars are all moved well inland (I hope). Hopefully I won't need Hagerty for them.
Scary stuff but sounds like you're very prepared. Hoping for the best for you.

boonies

Boonies
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hope they are wrong too...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I am in CT taking care of my mom but my car is on the 2nd floor of a parking garage. Seems I am a bit of a hurricane magnet o_O
A2D4B932-F83D-4B5E-81B4-76C4697430EE.jpeg

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
It’s an awful thing. When I lived in CA in the 90’s all my east coast friends asked “how can you live there with the earthquakes?” While both suck, I’ll take earthquakes over hurricanes. No week long buildup, fear, loathing and sleepless nights leading up to the event.
Let’s hope it’s less than what’s expected.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s an awful thing. When I lived in CA in the 90’s all my east coast friends asked “how can you live there with the earthquakes?” While both suck, I’ll take earthquakes over hurricanes. No week long buildup, fear, loathing and sleepless nights leading up to the event.
Let’s hope it’s less than what’s expected.
But when you get older you walk across the room or stand up from the sofa and wonder if that was an earthquake or just my balance! ;)

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Had a few trees break in half already and we're only on the edge of it. Good luck to Tampa Bay.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Saw this morning a prediction that Sanibel may be entirely underwater. Beautiful place; hate to see that.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Things here in Jacksonville are pretty calm. We cleared the decks and tucked the cars in but as Ian has moved out to sea we are only getting sporadic rain and wind gusts. A few people have lost power already, but mostly things are fine. Ian will pass JAX about 8 pm today, Thursday, so we'll have direct onshore winds then aimed right at the mouth of the St. Johns River which passes through downtown, after flowing North for 80 miles along the coast where Ian has been raining for hours. Then there will be a high tide at about 2 am Friday morning which could increase the storm surge enough to cause flooding in low-lying areas. At 13 feet elevation, I'm not exactly high ground, but the storm surge was predicted to be about 4.5 feet so we should be fine since we are 1.25 miles from the St. Johns River.

Ian Sights

Last edited:

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow Scott. Its looking like your city council may need to restart the ferry they used to have to Sanibel.

Fixing that bridge will take quite some time.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Sanibel and Ft. Myers appear to be the hardest hit from the worst possible angle. It will be a slow road to recovery for the area (I lived in nola during Katrina and it is a long process) but community and the human spirit will rally and it will be rebuilt. We are rooting for you Scott!