Hurricane Ida

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I hope our friends in the NOLA area stay safe!

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Thanks. Just made jambalaya and have lots of boxed wine. Catching up on the forum before the power goes out. If the city gets wiped out we'll evac to FL Tues or so. Getting windy now and for the next 3-4 hours it will be hairy. Thankfully we sold our house last year and live in a brick condo bldg on 2nd floor, no 100 year old oak trees in the back yard or a basement to worry about anymore.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hope your coupe is safe too
As safe as anything here, in a warehouse near downtown. Very windy now, will be for next 3-4 hours as storm moves through. This is the biggest storm I've stayed through in 41 years of living here. The eye is about 60 miles west with 150+ winds, but the wind speeds drop off as you get away from the eye wall, but still pretty darn freaky.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hope Steve understands that if he only has three minutes of power left he needs to post to the forum and let us know how he's doing. ;)
I would have but besides no power there is no cell service in nola! Serious forum withdrawal. Evac’d to Florida then will head north to visit my mom. Got pulled over doing 90 but got a sympathy warning when he saw where I was from. Coupe is safe in a warehouse. As my son so eloquently put it, the city got kicked in the balls again, 16 years later on a Sunday again.

saltydawg

Veteran Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve,
Just got home from nola. I took my daughter down to retrieve some things from her apartment (about a block from you if you recall). Mostly limbs down and a few small trees uprooted. I’m not sure if you evacuated before or after Ida but your place looks fine here is a shot of St. Charles in front. Of course the biggest issue is the city is dark...no power and it could be a while. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

JNL

C8C60553-4202-4186-B681-E4E1911F3951.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
for people not familiar with NOLA ... the median on St. Charles is for the streetcar, but on other roads with a median ... its called the 'neutral' zone. it makes a lot of sense the way many people drive.
looks like you are near Gen. Pershing as i believe that's the Touro Synagogue, a friend of mine lived right near there.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,
Just got home from nola. I took my daughter down to retrieve some things from her apartment (about a block from you if you recall). Mostly limbs down and a few small trees uprooted. I’m not sure if you evacuated before or after Ida but your place looks fine here is a shot of St. Charles in front. Of course the biggest issue is the city is dark...no power and it could be a while. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

JNL

View attachment 125868
Thanks Jim we left the day after and saw all that mess. Our condo is that brick red spot behind the no parking sign on the right in the distance. It looks clean compared to the morning after! Hope you all are ok.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve - NOLA question ... is Casamento's still in business? it was located on Magazine at Napoleon. wonderful seafood restaurant that looked like a big pink shower ... floor to ceiling pink tile with what looked like shower heads ... but great seafood. and then in the other direction used to be the best barbecued shrimp at Pascal Manale. if still in business, are either of them any good 40 years later?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve - NOLA question ... is Casamento's still in business? it was located on Magazine at Napoleon. wonderful seafood restaurant that looked like a big pink shower ... floor to ceiling pink tile with what looked like shower heads ... but great seafood. and then in the other direction used to be the best barbecued shrimp at Pascal Manale. if still in business, are either of them any good 40 years later?
I beleve Casamentos is still in business, I havent been in forever but I drive by it occasionally, they are ony open 6 mos a year or so and I can never remember when. Manale's just was renovated, they have a raw oyster bar inside and it's just like you remember.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
great to know ... thanks Steve. i know some of my old favorite poboy places are still in business, Parasol's and Domilise's ... but there are many other / newer great ones that i haven't been to.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I texted with Steve yesterday.
They went to Sarasota to have power and internet.
Sure he'll be back today.
Gary