I just bought this at Copart...

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Okay, to my surprise it just arrived this afternoon. Here's some photos. Its definitely a Hartge valuve cover, it has headers that similar to Hartge but I didn't look for a tag. I took a photo of the oil pan but I don't know if its anything special. Number on the head seems stock. The steering wheel is a MOMO and the transmission shifts like a standard 5-spd. I'll get it up on a lift at some point and see if there's anything underneath. I had slated this car for parts but its actually in really good shape so I have them mark it as a "Builder" for now until I find out more. Its also a clear title car.

My gut feel with this car is that its a stock 533i/is with a valve cover and some bolt-on cosmetics.

Attachments

• cylinder-head-number.jpg
    cylinder-head-number.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 146
  • headers.jpg
    headers.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 156
  • headers2.jpg
    headers2.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 153
  • oil-pan.jpg
    oil-pan.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 161
  • rear-spoiler.jpg
    rear-spoiler.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 146
  • seat-left.jpg
    seat-left.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 152
  • valve-cover-hartge.jpg
    valve-cover-hartge.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 168
  • steering-wheel-momo.jpg
    steering-wheel-momo.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 154
  • speedometer.jpg
    speedometer.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 158
  • seat-right.jpg
    seat-right.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 158
  • wheel-centra.jpg
    wheel-centra.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 157

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
If I'm not wrong, Hartge used a stock euro B34 10:1 bottom end, Hartge head (ported, cam + bigger valves?), and Hartge headers, which resulted in 240hp in the 635 Hartge H6S (and/or SP)

Maybe it's a complete H6 S engine?

Anyway, very nice!:)

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
I originally bought this car through my work for them to part out a few things and scrap the car. Now that I've looked at it a little more I think I should offer it up for sale to see if anyone wants to get it back on the road. We will guess at what we think we can get in parts and reduce it by estimated labor costs. That will be the "bottom line" of what we'd sell it for. The problem is, I have no idea what its worth. LOL What do you guys think?

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Is there a fairly easy way to check? I looks like it has a stock oil pan if that makes a difference.

I dont know if Hartge marked their blocks in any way, and I’m not sure which way to easiest identify an euro B34 block but maybe @sfdon can point you in the right direction?

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
A compression test.....

This is obviously the way to go. If you are like me and more technically adept than mechanically you can stick an inspection camera down the spark plug hole and look for these. That will at least tell you if you are dealing with a higher compression motor, but you’ll need to inspect the markings on the block to determine the bore. I would be screwing around with a compression test for an hour but the camera would take me 10 minutes.

$
40 Camera:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MYTHWK4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510148561

38D4F95E-BACA-4F09-A771-A91C6629FB51.jpeg

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I do love an e28... This one is like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree in need of some serious love. Does it run? The guts hanging out the bottom of the dash are always daunting to me... chasing down electric gremlins left by others is a massive headache. It doesn't appear rusty...

I say get the engine running and electrics sorted.. spend a couple days cleaning and polishing. It will look a whole lot better. the rear spoiler and Hartge heritage have to be worth something, but only if the engine isn't sour. Did you pull the dipstick? Milky oil under the oil cap? Coolant looks ok?

I think a few days spent getting it running and cleaned up will be well-spent. I do hate seeing a special car in a neglected state...those wheels... ughhh.

I like it. If it was a 535iS? I would LOVE it.

Ed