If you die, what happens to your cars and/or parts?

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
How many of you have a "plan" for your cars and/or parts stash if you pass? I would assume that most of you have talked with your spouse or family about it at some point but after reading some threads lately it makes me wonder what you've done.

All I've done is make sure my wife knows that my crap laying around the house and storage is worth a decent amount of money and my son would be able to figure out what it's worth and how to sell it. It would still be a pain in the neck for them since everyone is always busy with life. I'm always surprised when someone passes and their wife has no idea what to do with all their husbands stuff. Sometimes it's just priorities and people don't care about value, just that it's gone. Other's might know it has value but don't know how to go about pricing and selling.

All things considered, one backup plan would be to contact the e9coupe.com forum. Made public, I have no doubt that multiple people here would make sure a widow is taken care of if someone has e9 stuff to part with.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great topic! While I suspect my car and my stash of parts is less/smaller than many of you - it is still amassing to quite a hoard. I have actually started that conversation with my wife. My instructions were that she should contact a couple of specific forum members to have them guide the process. Which is to say, I've pushed it onto you guys! ;)

Perhaps I should craft a slightly more robust plan...

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, have a plan all detailed in our will. To summarize, 1914 KisselKar goes to the Wisconsin Auto Museum. All the BMWs go to sale at a respected auction house, along with all auto signs, models and art.

Edit: The above happens if & when we are both gone.

Last edited:

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Ideally our wives would share our enthusiasm for old cars,and be active participants to the degree that they would know what everything is worth and how to sell it all if so desired.

In the unlikely event that they are not co-enthusiasts, I suggest you make a list of old car friends and experts to call (per marque). And for each of my cars I keep a binder of all receipts plus restoration/upgrade notes and photos . Of course, make sure your spouse does not see these binders unless you are already dead, although the order of events is probably irrelevant for all practical purposes.

Also, it helps if you have everything bagged and tagged. Yeah, right...

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wife will contact two friends of mine and give them everything to them.
My daughter, Leslie, better known as Car Girl will inherit my coupe and enough money to let it continue to live in the style to which it has become accustomed. My wife, who along with Car Girl and our son Gavin, sent me to a weekend BMWCCA High Performance Driver's School for my 50th birthday jokes that I treat my coupe like an ageing starlet. And we know how much attention must be paid there.

Steve

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a feeling that once my car is finished I will drive it so hard that I will likely die with the car...

It's a good question. I was thinking to write the approx. value on the boxes. But that might cause unwanted moments of realization of the significant other once she start looking from something she can't find in my garage attick.
So I will need to find a solution to the 'binder dilemma'....

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
It's funny but this has been on my mind the last few weeks as well. I think the tool emporium I have been building for the last 45 years would be mostly carted to the dump. Time to make a plan. It can end fast. Just last week I came across a photo of De Coupe's Silver E9 in an old Coupe calendar and placed it over my desk, had an ultra close call head on highway accident involving a snow plow and an Audi S4 that tried to pass it ( I went through the middle, giant plow to the left, the Audi with a bewildered occupant off into the snow bank to my right )
Great reminder Dang to leave in an orderly fashion.

Last edited:

m_thompson

Reaction score
I volunteer for a local Computer Museum. We regularly get calls from the survivor/executor asking us if we could get all of the old computer crap out of the garage/cellar/house. I imagine that a lot of historic computer artifacts get scrapped for gold reclamation.

I need to do a better job of telling my survivors what I have that is valuable, and how to get rid of the car and computer crap that I have collected.

Stan

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i am not really interested in what happens to "my" properties when i am dead...
so burn it all !
(i might ask to be buried in my coupe, that might do the trick)
You could be cremated then have your ashes stuffed into the carbon filter under the battery tray...:rolleyes:

day66

Reaction score
It's not "if" but "when"!

I've dealt with this first hand after my father dropped dead on holiday. Fortunately i did know what we had, where it was and what it was worth - didn't stop a few "chancers" hoping for a fire sale though. I ended up taking 18 months of work to run through the projects - some sold, some finished and sold on - a lot of work but ultimately beneficial for the family.

I have less stuff but a simple page of instructions would be wise to avoid the non-car people in your life being ripped off.

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd like DQ as my BMW cars and parts executor. He'd have to move to Canada though.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
You could always up your insurance policies and then pull a Thelma and Louise. My wife would enjoy the cash more than the cars.