Ignition key barrel help.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Guys,
I need to pull the ignition key barrel on my CS but it doesn't seem to want to come out.
I'm aware of the grub screw in the back that locks the electrical component of the mechanism in place.
Also aware of the locating plate that is held in place by a single flat screw.
Taking both of these out it slides out of it's recess approx 1 inch but then appears to be obstructed.
Sorry I've no pics.

@Markos ideas mate?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Still no love here mate.
My assembly looks a bit different to the pics on E9 driven.
How do you undo bolts 1-3 in the images as I have them.
It says I use a centre punch and then unscrew?

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Punch or actually grind a slot so a screwdriver can be used.

Thanks.
But looking at my assembly it appears that those bolts and the little plate are totally unconnected?
The W&N exploded diagrams seems to confirm this.
I don't understand why I can get it out about 2omm and then it feels like it catches on something.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
BMW teaches to use a chisel and hammer.
First strike the headless bolt directly into the cone shape and then use the chisel to strike at an angle in the groove you created that will start the headless or “breakaway” bolt to begin turning.
Hit direct to create a crease, hit in the crease at an angle to rotate....

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Been thinking about this some more.
Looks like W&N don't carry new parts anyway.
The electrical part of the switch works fine, twist it with a screw driver and we are off.
The key part of the barrel works fine upto the 'drive' setting where all the dash lights come on.
The problem is when you rotate past that to crank the motor - nothing happens.

So my big question is if I go to the hassle of getting it out I can't source new parts anyway. My sparky has suggested making a shim and putting it in there.
Would be good if anybody on here had some pics of the key barrel removed from the car so I can see what I'm dealing with as I can't see inside it at present - might be able to get my phone up inside and take a pic though.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Been thinking about this some more.
Looks like W&N don't carry new parts anyway.
The electrical part of the switch works fine, twist it with a screw driver and we are off.
The key part of the barrel works fine upto the 'drive' setting where all the dash lights come on.
The problem is when you rotate past that to crank the motor - nothing happens.

So my big question is if I go to the hassle of getting it out I can't source new parts anyway. My sparky has suggested making a shim and putting it in there.
Would be good if anybody on here had some pics of the key barrel removed from the car so I can see what I'm dealing with as I can't see inside it at present - might be able to get my phone up inside and take a pic though.

i would remove and take a look inside
in the unlikely event that something broke iniode yes, it will be worthless, but it is not complex to dissasemble (not easy also) and you can see what is wrong

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Replace the mechanism. So cheap to do. There are two parts in the housing that wear out.
Makes it so key turns but electrical switch doesn’t turn enough.
OEM or aftermarket are both good.

Lots listed on eBay Australia....

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Replace the mechanism. So cheap to do. There are two parts in the housing that wear out.
Makes it so key turns but electrical switch doesn’t turn enough.
OEM or aftermarket are both good.

Lots listed on eBay Australia....

So you reckon it's actually this bit that fails and not the key tumbler itself?
Or do we just replace both.

Wes

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another thought.
How do we tell which one these are as there are the 90 deg versions and the other that's about 110 deg.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another thought.
How do we tell which one these are as there are the 90 deg versions and the other that's about 110 deg.

i was unable to tell this from part number reference, but i am sure it will
if you look at my pics in my thread “how to deal with the clausor...” it is not only the 90 deg thing but also the length of the key lock mechanism, there are long and short versions and it makes a whole world difference to have one or the other...