Ignition key disaster

pat cooks

Reaction score
The longer pins should line up with the deeper holes in the key, shorter for shallower, I think there are three lengths, pins could either be harvested from a scrap lock or machined on a lathe, a small lathe! looks like there should be six caps, springs and pins, missing a few bits,

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pat, don't forget that the Petra key has divots on both sides ... so that could mean 12 of each. but i don't know that for a fact, it might just be one sided so you can put the key in the cylinder in either direction and have it work. Dick can you take a detailed pic of the inside of the barrel an both sides of the cylinder.

i would suspect that the pins probably work from other types of locks - Dick, if you put a caliper on the diameter i can verify that.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The longer pins should line up with the deeper holes in the key, shorter for shallower, I think there are three lengths, pins could either be harvested from a scrap lock or machined on a lathe, a small lathe! looks like there should be six caps, springs and pins, missing a few bits,
I counted today. I have 6 springs, 4 long pins, 2 short pins, and two little cups...maybe what you are calling caps? If so, I'm missing 4. I'll look more.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Pat, don't forget that the Petra key has divots on both sides ... so that could mean 12 of each. but i don't know that for a fact, it might just be one sided so you can put the key in the cylinder in either direction and have it work. Dick can you take a detailed pic of the inside of the barrel an both sides of the cylinder.

i would suspect that the pins probably work from other types of locks - Dick, if you put a caliper on the diameter i can verify that.

Are you calling this the barrel or the cylinder?

IMG_4986.jpg

CSBM5

Reaction score
At least yours lasted a really long time. Mine came apart like that back in 1982. I recall using a screwdriver to start the car. I'm of no help just blathering on here. I lived near Korman Autoworks at the time and took it there; it was a rather involved repair to replace it all from what I recall. I ended up with a 2nd key just for the ignition.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
At least yours lasted a really long time. Mine came apart like that back in 1982. I recall using a screwdriver to start the car. I'm of no help just blathering on here. I lived near Korman Autoworks at the time and took it there; it was a rather involved repair to replace it all from what I recall. I ended up with a 2nd key just for the ignition.
Thanks. Misery loves company. ;)

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Something is hanging up in the lock cylinder, there is a large pin that drops onto the column when key is in off position, I don’t think e3 or e9 are any different, they use the same lock cylinder.
Chris,
You were right. I fooled with it some more today. The lock does drop in with the key still in the cylinder. It must have been a little sticky and by removing the key it was able to release and drop in. Works like you posted now.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Scott,
I'm unable to get a good picture of the inside of the barrel. The one I posted in the first post is as good as I can do.

IMG_4982.jpg

Here are pictures of both sides of the cylinder...

IMG_5006.jpeg

IMG_5005.jpeg

Lousy pictures but you can see 4 holes on one side and 3 on the other.

Here is the bottom end of the cylinder...

IMG_5007.jpeg

I did find one more cup, so the count now is 6 springs, 4 long pins, 2 short pins (or one medium and one short....hard to tell), and 3 cups.

Last edited:

aball

Reaction score
Mine fell apart 20 years ago and I was able to replace it without much trouble - assuming a new one is even available today.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Might just be less trouble to install a push button start mechanism: