Ignition/Starter Issue

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Everything is back together on the top end of my E9, including cooling system.

I re-connected the battery and could hear the tell-tale clock ticking away. I turned the key - got all of the standard lights - and then turned to the key to the ignition point and got a quick click and then lost all power. I disconnected the battery, checked all of the fuses (all fine).

Curiously, I reconnected the battery and listened for the clock - it was ticking again. So, I decided to give it another try at the ignition - same issue - quick click and then all power lost.

So, somehow disconnecting the battery resets the issue, but the turning the key to ignition shuts everything down without any fuses blowing,

Some notes:

• Battery is a 02/2022 Interstate that has been kept in a slow trickle in a cool place whilst out of the car for the summer. No indications of any damage or loss of charge.
  • Before bolting in the new starter, I did test it inside the engine bay with the positive and ignition cables connected, and then used a jumper cable to ground it to the vehicle. The starter performed as normal with both the pinion kicking out and the motor spinning.

Anyone ever have this issue? Am I missing something obvious?

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
How is your ground from the battery to both the eng block and the chassis?

Thanks, Rick
I did order a new grounding cable for the battery and changed it out during this process. Like the old one, I simply bolted it into the same spot on the front fender. It worked fine when I tested the starter on its own.

stphers

Reaction score
try this, take a pair of jumper cables and hook up one set from the negative side of the battery , the other end to somewhere on the eng and see how it is Battery to body ground , just not good enough. I go battery to body, battery to eng and eng to body Major overkill but I don't have many grounding issues.

Thanks, Rick

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
try this, take a pair of jumper cables and hook up one set from the negative side of the battery , the other end to somewhere on the eng and see how it is Battery to body ground , just not good enough. I go battery to body, battery to eng and eng to body Major overkill but I don't have many grounding issues.

Thanks, Rick
Thank you - I will try this next. What point on the engine do you use as a ground?

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score

Thanks, Rick
That was it - poor grounding. The car turned over and immediately started firing. I didn't anticipate that given how long it has been sitting. I did prep the engine for a run after a sitting for months (changed the spark plugs, oil-fogged the cylinders, and added some oil to the top end).

Now the starter valve is dripping fuel... More fun!

TG-2002-320i-328ci

Site Donor $
Reaction score
All set. Re-seated the Starter Valve and tightened the surrounding fuel lines and eliminated leaks. Cooling system seems to be sealed, as well.

Thanks for the help on this project. It's been since my teen years and my '72 2002 that I have spent that much time under the hood - and the carbureted 2002 was certainly simpler and had a bit more room in the engine bay.

New starter (441) sounds great and gets instant results.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score

Thanks, Rick
I do this same triple ground too.