Imporing a Euro CSL to USA help

melpacino

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone in this forum has imported a 3.0 or any other car to US. from Europe? If so, What necessary steps were taken as far as emissions and or any relevant legal process?

Would highly appreciate your feedback,

Mel

The Artisan

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone in this forum has imported a 3.0 or any other car to US. from Europe? If so, What necessary steps were taken as far as emissions and or any relevant legal process?

Would highly appreciate your feedback,

Mel
My buddy just imported a RHD e30 touring from Germany To Atl. I can ask him.
Kevin

The Artisan

Reaction score
thank you, much appreciated
I talked to him briefly tonight, he used a broker that had a contact in Germany that did a ppi on it. He is San Fran for business this week and I will touch base with him this weekend.
Kevin

Tyler

Reaction score
Hi Mel - I imported my french '73 CSL from London to Oregon via Seattle last year to use in the NW Classic rally. I've used these guys twice now and 100% positive on the experience - they operate throughout Europe. http://www.carseurope.net/contact-us

Bringing your Euro car to the US is pretty easy and Carseurope took care of everything. For a nice CSL, its worth paying for top service. I used a 20' solo container, but would have split a 40' if the shipper was able to find another car going to the same destination. In no way would I recommend roll-on-roll-off to save money.

No crazy legal, customs or emissions requirements (even for CA if 1973 or older) but there are a lot of little items that add up the cost - port and agent charges, customs x-ray, local delivery, insurance, arranger fees, etc, etc. And don't forget US import duty is calculated on the value of the car plus shipping.

You will have to get it state registered once it arrives - the car is unregistered but in your possession once it clears customs so I suggest getting a temporary (usually 30-day) road permit so you can drive while you go through the license process; its not difficult, just follow the rules on the DMV website.

PM me directly if you want more info.

hans3

Site Donor
Reaction score
I agree with @Tyler's advice. I used Cosdel for my containerized shipping since CARS never returned my e-mails. Same type of door to door brokerage / shipping service. Ro/Ro is a viable, cost-effective shipping method for cars that are not at risk of theft or magnates for joyriding. So a CSL should go via container for these reasons. The Alfa Romeo forum (AlfaBB.com) has many posts on this topic.

JhwShark

Reaction score
Hello,

I have imported a few BMW's, including a '73 3.0csi to CA. However, it has been a few decades.

At that time I used a roll-on roll-off which I would not do today, I use solo transport as has been recommended.

No SMOG issue upon entrance at that time I received a waiver I passed what was BAR predecessor with flying "numbers"; a d'jet would.

However, FMVSS and DOT compliance was a concern prior to reg. and I documented my car to the regulators with pictures of seat belts, window production codes (needed safety glass on windscreen which I had), and Lamps...ultimately getting approval as well.

Having a nice invoice for cost will be helpful if you can get a favorable (2nd)...I paid a little (anyone would have paid what I did) for my car so taxes/fees were not that bad: aprox $700 including transport (1983).

As Tyler points out DMV rules so have documentation in order.
Cheers,
Jon

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
In addition to all the valuable information posted here, I detailed the importation of my '66 1800 in the blog listed in my sig. It's the other end of the scale in regards to using Cosdel or Cars Europe, it was pretty much a DIY affair for me.