In search of rear seat.

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Apologies for not putting this in the "parts wanted" but I didn't want this lost among the E9 stuff.

In search of a correct tan (goldbraun / tobacco?) rear seat.

Horse hair can be "iffy" but as long as the vinyl is correct color and herringbone texture, I can rebuild it. Would be interested in getting JUST the covers / arm rest instead, only for easier shipping perhaps? I'm crafty and I can make it work.

Located in Western PA. Can arrange UPS shipping as long as it's packaged to avoid vinyl damage.

Please let me know if any of you have one to unload. ***Needs to match the DOOR panels....unlike my current one shown in photo***

(the front seats are leather and I'll simply re-dye them to match...but this rear vinyl seat has already been dyed and I think trying to re dye it would fail.)

Many Thanks!

Paul
D069F134-F3AD-497C-9134-10D23BFF5BDD.jpeg

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
Paul what makes you think previously dyed vinyl won't recolour? I've done it a fair few times in the past and it has held up well. A thorough clean with acetone and then isopropyl alcohol does the trick
I was very concerned that whatever chemical I use to prep it (acetone would be my "go to" on non plastic/vinyl stuff) would completely soften / melt / dissolve the vinyl. Am I wrong in thinking that'll trash it? Because I'm totally up for dying it ***IF*** I can get the fresh color to stick properly.

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
Probably best to try it on a small patch hidden away that will never see the light of day and see what it does. When I did my leather recaros the vinyl back got the same treatment and I didn't notice any difference. I used a kit from a UK leather refurbisher and its dealt with 15000 miles of abuse so far

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
How about dyeing the door cards to match the front and rear seats? o_O

If that doesn't sound good (I do love the goldbraun / tobacco color), World Upholstery does sell just a rear seat kit in the proper color.

My rear seat and door cards were in great shape, but my fronts were a mess. I used their kits for the front seats. They matched perfectly to the rest of the original interior...

IMG_4930.JPG

IMG_4913.JPG

Last edited:

Paul Wegweiser

Reaction score
How about dyeing the door cards to match the front and rear seats? o_O

If that doesn't sound good (I do love the goldbraun / tobacco color), World Upholstery does sell just a rear seat kit in the proper color.

My rear seat and door cards were in great shape, but my fronts were a mess. I used their kits for the front seats. They matched perfectly to the rest of the original interior...

View attachment 128654

View attachment 128655
GORGEOUS!!!!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I wouldn’t start with acetone on the old dye. I would start with isopropyl (likely fail), then a lacquer thinner (likely succeed). Neither should eat the vinyl. Acetone does damage plastic, even the fumes.

Case in point, you can use acetone vapors to smooth 3D prints. It is referred to as “vapor smoothing”

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
But what I actually came here to say is that I know someone win a full rear bench with headrests if you want a core. Not tobacco but after looking at the interior of @Dick Steinkamp how could you not want a new kit? :D

Man just looking at the e3 seats highlights how much easier it could be to DIY an e3. :(

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I thought the reason for using acetone on leather was to remove as much of the dye as possible so as to allow new dye to adhere to the leather. Vinyl is not porous, so I question whether this is necessary for vinyl.

When I changed the entire color of my interior, to include doors, armrests and seats, I used acetone and a leather cleaner on the seats and armrests, but I just went right over the vinyl on the doors. Seat color change, in progress:

20170504_081940.jpg

2017 PVGP, with front seats and armrests done (including the armrests on the doors), door panel and rears seats yet to be done:

PVGP Interior 2.jpg

Christoph

Reaction score
I would have never put this color combination together. But BMW did and I approve. :cool:
This is very strange. The people at BMW changed their minds twice about the right interior colour for Baikal. In 1969 it was light grey cloth or black vinyl, about 1971/72 beige cloth or brown vinyl, and in 1973 they went back to light grey cloth and the then new light grey vinyl. German customers could get any ext/int combination they liked but until summer 1973 only the recommended one was for free. Light grey cloth might have been my favourite, as the Bavaria only came with vinyl I'd choose brown.

Some time ago I looked at the World Upholstery page, then in search for cloth upholstery. They had none but glad to hear and see their vinyl interiors are great.