Inca e9 on Ebay

Thomas76

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I think that car has come up here already, been for sale for quite a while. It's in my neighborhood.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Christoph

Reaction score
What kind of VIN plate is that? Does it say 3.0 Si ??
Looking very closely, it should read "30 S A", i.e. 3.0 S Automatic (E3).
Sure look like it and it has been restamped so they started with the wrong plate.
Please help me, I don't see traces of restamping.

The whole thing seems funny, not even talking about the screws. "TYPE" is an E3, "Raamnummer/Chassis No" refers to a 3.0 CS A. A Belgian expert would be needed to tell to what model the type approval "41264" belongs. The maximum weight "1870 kg" is correct for the 3.0 S (& Automatic) ECE Series 3 until late summer 1975.

If the VIN was accurate and belonged to the car, you all know that, this would be the first 3.0 CS Automatic Series 2. A 3.0 S Automatic would start with 211. I don't know what is going on here.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It is an e9 with a VIN plate from an e3 (3.0 S A) stamped with the e9 vin. I have never seen a 3 on a VIN plate like this one but it is the Netherlands.

NFK

Site Donor
Reaction score
we call them the “Käsköpfe“
(Cheese Heads)
oh well, guess I get beaten now

Christoph

Reaction score
It is an e9 with a VIN plate from an e3 (3.0 S A) stamped with the e9 vin. I have never seen a 3 on a VIN plate like this one but it is the Netherlands.
Not sure I understand what you mean. The VIN plate is an ordinary Belgian one, strangely half E3 & half E9. Dutch delivered cars did not have it but the usual German VIN plate, authorities in the Netherlands apparently did not want anything special.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
An e9 VIN plate should say 3.0CS, not 3.0 S A.
Hello Chris,
do you know what was the problem with the E9 2800cs on BAT sold for 60K
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-bmw-2800cs-23/
and the other one sold for 158K
and there is the nice one sold for 70K the deference is to much it sold more than a double
and there is the a another one that sold for 148K
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-bmw-3-0csi-9/
I am just trying to learn since the one it sold half the price is not that bad compere to the one that sold double the price will you explain please

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The higher prices were for CSi coupes in Fjord which is a very desirable color and both were restored to a pretty high standard not that they don’t have minor issues. The 2800 was Sahara which is not as desirable although it is nice and the underside wasn’t pretty and it was not recently restored. And bidders were aware of its more recent sales price.

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The higher prices were for CSi coupes in Fjord which is a very desirable color and both were restored to a pretty high standard not that they don’t have minor issues. The 2800 was Sahara which is not as desirable although it is nice and the underside wasn’t pretty and it was not recently restored. And bidders were aware of its more recent sales price.
Thank you so much, I need a lot to learn.

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
(Cheese Heads)
well, I'm kinda linking that name. only downside is if yo ever eat cheese anywhere else, then it doesn't compare to ours....

But the Dutch had nothing to do with this plate, did we? 'Kontich' on the plate is the city of the Belgian importer.
I agree that I've never seen that font used on a E9, and from that I'd be hesitant & research it if i was to consider buying this car. I do love the Inca though. the BMW certificate that is depicted in the BAT listing does show the engine number as being original Inca.

(small chance): It may be that Belgian cars were stamped at the Belgian dealer, being in Kontich? If so, they may have used different stamping tools compared to the BMW's birthplace? It would need different Kontich cars to confirm/reject this brain fart...

Last edited:

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
(Cheese Heads)
They could also be called Filister heads, but it's a minor distinction. McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) calls both head profiles - either rounded head or flat head, cheese heads on their website, in spite of their little diagram on the same page.

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 9.35.23 AM.png

Reactions: NFK