Injected CSL odd running condition

corsachili

Reaction score
Agree 100%. This has been my contention all along. I do think there are a few electrical gremlins, but I've always believed that they are not the reason why the engine won't run for longer than 5 seconds.

-tj in Los Gatos

The injectors fire in banks of three, so the problem must be specific to that injector / local wiring. One injector will not stop the engine from running, so there must be another problem ??
Position of the throttle switch will not cause this problem.

corsachili

Reaction score
Agree here as well. The two things that popped in to my head after observing the engine's behavior was that it was either fuel or vacuum related, not electrical. It's why I immediately checked the fuel pressure to the rail, and why I also took the throttle body off to see if there was something amiss with it. It FEELS vacuum or fuel related to me. I just can't find anything to support that belief.

-tj in Los Gatos

Although the subject of this post was entitled "odd running," it might be better described as unable to achieve "sustained operation." For an engine to run for five seconds there must be a source of ignition. I hardly dispute this notion given my observation that brief running "also suggests that your ignition is an unlikely cause of the [immediate] problem." Nevertheless, a few chaotic sparks from a poorly functioning ignition system hardly makes for sustained operation of a "relatively" modern engine.

Similarly, as noted, vacuum may not be essential for getting an engine to fire intermittently. However, it is indispensable for sustained operation of the subject engine. The Djet's design employs a pressure sending unit. That specialized and calibrated unit, is absolutely dependent upon manifold vacuum to function. Hence, sufficient manifold pressure is a requisite for sustained operation of any d-jet equipped engine.

61porsche

Reaction score
Failure to run- another dart...

If the belief is fuel... pull a plug or two.. wet? Flooded?

The cold start valve - pull it, stick it in a bucket , and try it out after you've blocked off the hole. It's possible it's stuck open.

Throttle body or AFM- switches- both checked out? Idle and WOT? It's possible that it sending full WOT signal and flooding?

pamp

Reaction score
No Run

I got left road side with symptoms very similar to what you describe about 4 years ago. Rail would charge, engine would fire and run for a few seconds then die. There is a relay bolted low on the brake booster assembly and kind of hard to see. This works in concert with the fuel pump relay located at the ECU. A PO had jumpered this and that wire had come loose (found it looking in the dark and moving wiring, saw the arc) I used a VW relay to replace and all has been well since. Probably something completely different, yet your symptoms are so similar....my post at the time...
"As me bride and myself were under way to sunday brunch, the coupe died.
(this was last winter) It was a fine sunny day. To make a long story shorter,
it then snowed heavy. Friends took us home, provided refuge for "Sienna"
I returned with tools and a tarp. She no wanna start no way as I had no fuel pump actuation. Had to get a tow back to my shop, after the snow melted a bit, to do proper diagnostics (that means that I failed in the field) With superman x-ray vision, I found that one relay that had been jumpered,
(previous whoever)and the jumper had come loose. Naturally just loose enough to make the deal "intermittent" This relay is hard to find, in the engine bay, as it is mounted to the inboard side of the brake booster, low, lot's 'o stuff in the way. Well needless to say that the relay was toast (hence the jumper) Bosch #0 332 003 014 This part is "unobtainium" where I live.
Anyway, here was the fix...#0 332 003 021 a VW part readily available. But... you must gently rotate the center spade 90 degress (10/51) Voila'
021 becomes 014.
I would love to hear more stories. As the parts get fewer and far between ..."

At the time I said "intermittent" But as I now remember, she would fire and then die. The observation of a short start from the cold start squirt is valid. Sort of like juicing with starting fluid. Shade tree stuff. Start the engine with the air cleaner off, minor mist with starting fluid just enough to keep it running. Tells you to concentrate on fuel issues, with d-jet this means electrical components. Sounds to me you are lucky enough to have the parts substitution down. Good luck to you.

Last edited: