Inka Euro 1974 3.0CS 5-Speed - BAT

Pinstripe inc.

Reaction score
Nope, the E9 has risen because people realize it has a cult following.
We are the cult followers, this forum is our church, and people that buy new BMWs are a deviant sect...
Can’t wait to find out what it sells for. I guess my original’73 purchase is paying off.:)

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks the seller of this car has made a mistake first teasing, then posting photos of the other 2 e9s he intends to sell on BAT?
I found it pretty off-putting myself. Like he's in it for the wrong reasons. Also takes the focus off of the car in the auction. For me, part of the fun of BAT auctions is that people imagine themselves in the car itself - then when the seller brings in two other cars it messes up that imagination, and you start thinking about the other cars, not the one in the auction.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't want to post this on BaT, because I could be way off base. But I see the seller added photos of the cylinder compression. Am I missing something, or are 80 to 100psi measurements low? Sometimes a gauge is not necessarily accurate, but in those cases you can generally rely on comparing the delta between cylinders for consistency. I think 10% is acceptable. Is there something different with this car/engine where that is a good reading? Huge cam?

Last edited:

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My stock 8:1 engine was between 153 and 161 when OCCoupe tested it for the PPI. Probably a little carbon on some valves and pistons from not being exercised enough before I bought it! Could be lower now.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RNM. Not surprised. I think there huge gap between the owners perception of value versus the market value. At least that was proven this afternoon. That said, it is probably worth more than the high bid to the right buyer (who obviously wasn't logged in today).

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Compared to the $200k cars, this one not reaching at least the $70s means something really off on the car.

I mean, cool color and clean engine compartment wasn't enough to push bids further

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think the compression readings may have a lot to do with it not going further. if i saw readings that low i think i would have tried a different gauge. even so, a new engine - 15k +/- ... and overall a decent car. a new sense of reality ... if you want a really high price you better have all things correct. its a rare original color, the body shell seems to be in great shape.

the seller posted that he has a totally restored malaga to sell ... wonder if he moves forward or sits on it for a while

Strato102

Site Donor
Reaction score
The compression #s and uncompleted inner fender reconstruction build up held it back a little. Sellers are drunk on the poodle car and are trying to cash in. Bidders assumed the reserve was about 135 plus and didn't bother.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
To the point of how many of these cars have been crossing BaT ....

2015 - 2
2016 - 7
2017 - 8
2018 - 18
2019 - 31
2020 - 37
2021 - 28 (to date 8/7/21)
(based on my counting the dots on the graph on BaT's E9 page)

I think this is playing a part how the values on our cars may be leveling off - to some degree.
As awesome as we know these cars are, they are not for everyone... and with the increasing numbers being available... the pent up (or available) demand has - I think - becoming satisfied for all but the TOP cars. That is leading buyers to be very choosy on what they do.

My thoughts anyway.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
The compression #s and uncompleted inner fender reconstruction build up held it back a little. Sellers are drunk on the poodle car and are trying to cash in. Bidders assumed the reserve was about 135 plus and didn't bother.
Have to agree with the "poodle car" comment (hope you are feeling a little better, Rob)
And the black icing on the underside put on with a spatula.

Also, I still remember the line in Silence of the Lambs that "we covet the familiar", and to me, few people in the general public have seen or been around a bright orange coupe, or many bright orange lust-worthy cars (some 911's excepted, maybe..a McLaren). Back in the late 70's, I had a Riviera blue 72 2002, and my older brother (just back from his draft term in southern Germany), bought an Inka big bumpered 2002. I loved it and hated it at the same time. "Safety colors" were the thing in Germany then; Golf, Inka, Mintgrun, etc. I grew up with a fugly Inka-colored vinyl sofa, and orange was not my favorite in the spectrum. Maybe on the Dutch flag...but on a coupe it just looks odd to me...but that's another persons' exciting or vibrant. Apologies to furious Inka owners. All 1.14% of you. sorry...

xjan99

Reaction score
i think the compression readings may have a lot to do with it not going further. if i saw readings that low i think i would have tried a different gauge. even so, a new engine - 15k +/- ... and overall a decent car. a new sense of reality ... if you want a really high price you better have all things correct. its a rare original color, the body shell seems to be in great shape.

the seller posted that he has a totally restored malaga to sell ... wonder if he moves forward or sits on it for a while
I just sold a complete l-jetronic M30 3.3L for 300EUR. These engines are cheap at least over here, so I am surprised the compression numbers bothered someone.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I just sold a complete l-jetronic M30 3.3L for 300EUR. These engines are cheap at least over here, so I am surprised the compression numbers bothered someone.

Don’t let the technical content on this
forum mislead you. I think it is a very worthy concern. Most buyers and forum members have a well-formed amygdala and/or do not possess the skill to build/install a motor. Adding $5K - $20k for a motor work is a significant consideration.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Don’t let the technical content on this
forum mislead you. I think it is a very worthy concern. Most buyers and forum members have a well-formed amygdala and/or do not possess the skill to build/install a motor. Adding $5K - $20k for a motor work is a significant consideration.
I totally agree with the word "significant".
And I also learned a new word.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I totally agree with the word "significant".
And I also learned a new word.

099A59B9-623C-4B5B-AB41-52E8931257A2.jpeg

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I never knew it had that name, but I certainly suffer from it. I had OCCoupe poke an iPhone in every accessible rust hiding spot and also do compression and leak down tests. No one wants to be 20-50% off on cost of ownership. Especially when you have a joint checking account.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
the only way around that Norm is to buy consistently over a long period. so small boxes arrive - then harder to add it all up - and opens the door for plausible deniability (i don't remember). for bigger purchases, don't use a credit card. cash is always good whenever you can. have parts shipped to where you work if possible

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Advertising two more good cars may be an example of the Osborne Effect in action.
The only way to see if the color was the issue is for the seller ro repaint the other two cars Inka and see what they bring...
Data wins arguments, like some colleagues used to say when they wanted to stall your progress...