Inka

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I like almost all colors, but Sahara just doesn’t work for me. BTW, we called them Orange Creamsicles or 50/50 bars.
And don’t get me started on Schwinn Orange Crates ... couldn’t afford one, so settled on a Schwinn Stingray with a Bananna seat ( that’s a style, not a color). LOL
As long as you had an aftermarket Sissy Bar that would be Cool. Since bikes were protected by tariffs when I was a kid, all we got in Canada were CCM Mustangs. Fine bikes they were. Had a Purple one, then the Royale version (Three speed Gold metal flake)

EJ333

Reaction score
As long as you had an aftermarket Sissy Bar that would be Cool. Since bikes were protected by tariffs when I was a kid, all we got in Canada were CCM Mustangs. Fine bikes they were. Had a Purple one, then the Royale version (Three speed Gold metal flake)
Oh yeah, I had a Sissy Bar and could pop wheelies on demand effortlessly ...

shanon

Reaction score
FWIW, I never get tired of seeing my schizoid Colorado /Arizona color when i walk into the garage.

It's very delicious..... just like a ol' Creamsicle ;)

lloyd

Reaction score
Speaking of what color is on the palette, a January article in Classic and Sports Car describes "inka" as "gold." https://www.classicandsportscar.com/features/bmw-e9-birth-icon

Maybe it is just a matter of opinion
?
With the slats of the nieren (‘kidney’) grilles, and the faux wing vents, painted matt black, these early CSLs came in a special range of distinctive colours, too: Colorado (orange), Golf (yellow), Inka (gold) and Verona (red).

Classic%20%26%20Sports%20Car%20%E2%80%93%20BMW%20CSL%20%E2%80%93%201B3A0733.jpg

Classic%20%26%20Sports%20Car%20%E2%80%93%20BMW%20CSL%20%E2%80%93%20front.jpg

Classic%20%26%20Sports%20Car%20%E2%80%93%20BMW%20CSL%20%E2%80%93%201B3A0950.jpg

Classic%20%26%20Sports%20Car%20%E2%80%93%20BMW%20CSL%20%E2%80%93%201B3A0910_0.jpg

Windshield washer reservoirs may have had vented caps, but were they originally fitted with a vent overflow tube, a la the coolant reservoir?

Classic%20%26%20Sports%20Car%20%E2%80%93%20BMW%20CSL%20%E2%80%93%201B3A0976.jpg

diag_f4k.png

Were E9s ever raced with 13" front wheels or is this a typo?
Alpina’s 2800 CS chalked up two outright wins in international events counting towards the European title, and the car could now wind itself up impressively on the straights, thanks to its 280bhp dry sump engine and smaller, wider 13in wheels, beneath ‘bubble’ wheelarch extensions.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm finally getting to this article and I have some questions and observations. I know very little about CSL's.

"All its opening panels were stamped out of aluminium"

Are CSL door frames made of aluminum also or is it just the skin?​

with chromed wheelarch lips to accommodate their greater width

This one I know - the arches are stainless steel​

boot lock and bonnet-latching mechanisms had been omitted in the name of shedding pounds.

Is this correct that a carb CSL has no trunk lock?​

Out went the huge, thin-rimmed steering wheel critics had been berating since the E9 was launched,

Was this really a documented complaint with the magazines and critics of the time?​

The courtesy light was replaced by a map-reading light on the dashboard for ‘rallying’,

I know this has been discussed but did all carb CSL's have a map light? Were they added to the cig lighter or bolted to the dash in front of the speaker opening?​

With the slats of the nieren (‘kidney’) grilles, and the faux wing vents, painted matt black,

A lightweight CSL should have an annodized grille and chrome vents correct?​

There were slight camber changes all round, too, plus marginally lower-geared steering, and a limited-slip differential with a 25% locking action – the latter a standard feature on the original 2800 CS coupé, but one that had mysteriously disappeared from its 3.0 CS successor.

Are they indicating that all 2800CS had an LSD. My differential does not have an S and it doesn't lock.​

0-60mph in 7.2 seconds and 100mph now attainable in third gear with the 3.45:1 differential.

Did the carb CSL have a 3.45 diff or a 3.25 diff?​

and yet, mechanically, it was otherwise stock 3.0 CS, sharing the same 2985cc M30 straight-six, rated at 180bhp with two Solex 35/40 twin-choke carburettors

Did the carb CSL use solexes? I remember reading this but just confirming.​

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Lots of errors in that article for sure.

Trunk has a latch/lock just no torsion bars like the hood

Map light is attached to parcel shelf and extends to the right side.

I think grilles were chrome, even the pic looks like chrome. Only four colors, Colorado, Inka, Golf and Verona. Black kidney grille.

Early CSL had 3.45 with 25% locking. CSiL had 3.25 as did the CSi with LSD optional according to the parts books.

All carbs are Zenith, the secondary diaphragm says Solex on it causing confusion.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Lots of errors in that article for sure.

Trunk has a latch/lock just no torsion bars like the hood

Map light is attached to parcel shelf and extends to the right side.

I think grilles were chrome, even the pic looks like chrome. Only four colors, Colorado, Inka, Golf and Verona. Black kidney grille.

Early CSL had 3.45 with 25% locking. CSiL had 3.25 as did the CSi with LSD optional according to the parts books.

All carbs are Zenith, the secondary diaphragm says Solex on it causing confusion.

Thanks Chris! I need to find a map light but there is no way I'm drilling holes in my dashboard. :D Good to know about the 3.45. That makes sense actually. I hear solexes thrown around from time to time. Did any E9's come with solexes ever? Maybe the Alpina cars.

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It should also have the Alpina Momo wheel and not a Petri. And i wouldn’t be surprised if the depicted Petri is a 40cm. The dash lamp, if one could find one is super cool, don’t know if all the carb cars had them..... first two pics are from a 2275 Bat, the last 2 from a carb Csl. So this too was an add on item.
I believe the Carb Csl’s didn’t have sway bars either (maybe just the front ones?)
Same engine/ carbs as the standard 2800CS/ 180hp, 3:45 diff.
Trunk latch without lock, with lock had to be ordered
Kidney 5 slat black anodized whereas the hood&fender grills were in both, black and chrome on Inka cars. They black grillls weren’t Matt either, the same as we can get today. Attached pic of the first hand carb Csl (sold for 400K€‘s supposedly) with black shiny grills
And they have the paint wrong on the front fender, where the black meets the orange, step is missing!
Needless to say, all subject to corrections.

9FAC67F9-B29F-49B2-886D-42048FC45FDB.jpeg
4CFA8629-6CF6-4B63-9954-E0EB9D7F7D2B.jpeg
90F3D826-E60E-47DE-8730-04919C4D8023.jpeg
1089A7DB-63F7-424D-84F8-9A3CC97176D1.jpeg

EF48A86C-4558-49D8-AE6A-5734A1A932E7.jpeg

422AD40D-347D-4578-8A6D-E2BEA10D7A6B.jpeg

E034BFA6-A05D-419A-993D-8D423F8DFC68.jpeg

E9Eric

Reaction score
Who provided the data on only 9 CSi in Inka? The BMW Archive claims they don’t have any documentation.

BMW does not provide / confirm VIN's for some rare colors to prevent abuse / replicas. Inka was only delivered on request of the buyer. From an owner of an original (documentated) Inka CSi I heard that only 11 pcs CSi were delivered by BMW in Inka.

Given the rarity of this color this is not unlikely.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
It should also have the Alpina Momo wheel and not a Petri. And i wouldn’t be surprised if the depicted Petri is a 40cm. The dash lamp, if one could find one is super cool, don’t know if all the carb cars had them..... first two pics are from a 2275 Bat, the last 2 from a carb Csl. So this too was an add on item.
I believe the Carb Csl’s didn’t have sway bars either (maybe just the front ones?)
Same engine/ carbs as the standard 2800CS/ 180hp, 3:45 diff.
Trunk latch without lock, with lock had to be ordered
Kidney 5 slat black anodized whereas the hood&fender grills were in both, black and chrome on Inka cars. They black grillls weren’t Matt either, the same as we can get today. Attached pic of the first hand carb Csl (sold for 400K€‘s supposedly) with black shiny grills
And they have the paint wrong on the front fender, where the black meets the orange, step is missing!
Needless to say, all subject to corrections.

View attachment 61389 View attachment 61390 View attachment 61391 View attachment 61392
View attachment 61394
View attachment 61395
View attachment 61396
Keshav, any ideas about what that AC setup is? Aftermarket kit?

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Keshav, any ideas about what that AC setup is? Aftermarket kit?

I only know it doesn’t belong in there!
A Csl with an AC basically is defeating the purpose of owning a Csl. The weight of the AC kills all the attempts BMW made in keeping the car light although it was an extra order item even for the Csl’s (the built in types like many E9’s have).
Having said that, it’s got to be an aftermarket type that are also found on MB W113/ Pagode’s (which never had an inbuilt AC system like the E9’s had) Frigking most likely. Sizewise looks like the Pagode type too.