Inline electric fuel pump, what’s the best option?

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think you need to make a custom plate; the BMW mechanical fuel pump has a fairly generic mounting configuration and there are lots of block-off plates on the market. For example: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...BQ_aeRG3CJ0IYsZWY1OLSNEcpl02fw0BoCjM0QAvD_BwE Note: I'm not saying that this plate will fit your BMW - you'll need to do some research to confirm what will fit - I'm just saying it would be quicker to do that research than to fabricate something from scratch.

This is good to know thanks!!

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Well that’s good to know, thanks.

I don't recall where I found the part number, but REALOEM shows the part in this picture, with a label as part number 7 (and the gasket as part number 8), but no corresponding part number. You may have to search other BMWs with the M30 engine.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Further to my post above, and in case anyone else is looking into this, I found the part numbers. These do not show as associated with my car because it came with a fuel pump in that location. The CSis, however, had the block off plate:

07 Cover lid 11 12 1 254 991
08 Gasket Asbestos Free 11 12 1 255 305

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
I posted the pump and pump controller info earlier in this thread.

I mounted my pump using one of the bolts that holds the subframe mount to the subframe. In this location, it sits in front of the subframe in the cavity between the push rod and the body. I chose this location because down low and close to the tank limits the possibility of vapor lock.
Hey up Ohmess,

me again, as you can see from the pictures I’m trying to determine where to mount this pump. The pierburg instructions call it to be lower then the tank but that might be a challenge. I’m just trying to picture where abouts you installed yours like you suggested? As pictured below I thought that this would be a prime position but I realized it’s still not that low compared to the fuel tank. Will it really effect performance....the second picture shows a position beside the tank in the trunk. This would be easier to install but not sure if it’s a wise choice. Thoughts?

Attachments

• D27390E6-A2D6-4242-92F9-3BB75394B38C.jpeg
    D27390E6-A2D6-4242-92F9-3BB75394B38C.jpeg
    340.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 20E5386C-0D5E-40FC-A661-BBE0ED9CF764.jpeg
    20E5386C-0D5E-40FC-A661-BBE0ED9CF764.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 139

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I mounted mine to one of the differential bolts. You don't want it in the trunk because it will resonate loudly.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
In my NK I placed it in front of the tank and had to rotate the fuel sender 180 degrees and used a longer fuel hose. No vibration with the Pierburg using their supplied clamp.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So first to overall location, I went low outside the car because I was worried about noise and wanted to go as low as possible to prevent vapor lock. That said, the Pierburg is very quiet, as Chris notes.

I also had a damaged piece of fuel line I removed at my mounting location.
That location in the first picture looks like a good one, but I wanted a mounting method that did not involve punching holes in my car. Not making new holes in my coupe is one of my idiosyncracies.

If you continue to follow that fuel line toward the engine, it will turn out toward the sill and then straighten out for the long run under the front seat mount. I cut into my line where it makes the turn toward the front of the car.

If you look at the subframe mount, my location is easy to see. There is a triangular cavity forward from the subframe bushing that is formed by the bushing housing, the tension strut and the floor of the car. My pump sits in that cavity, protected from below by the tension strut.

vanbavaria

Site Donor
Reaction score
So decided to go in the trunk root. I couldn’t find the cavity ohmess was explaining. I then realized that perhaps the Bavaria model doesn’t have such a cavity in the underbody. Aside from a slight pump motor noise I find I can barely hear it over the engine running. Hoping this will take care of the vapor locking issue I was having with the mechanical fuel pump. Thanks for the help every one.

Attachments

• F18800E8-A3F9-4EEA-A84B-DED5489E5A9A.jpeg
    F18800E8-A3F9-4EEA-A84B-DED5489E5A9A.jpeg
    430.1 KB · Views: 129