inspired by DeQ - woodwork

steve in reno

Reaction score
Readie they are looking good.
Now the hard ones.
I used Carpathian Elm Burl and thc clamp method.

Block sand, spray, block sand, spray, block sand...you get the picture. I would do mine several more times if they weren't installed.
You are building up the clear, then gently sanding to level it out, then do again.
Let parts cure for 24 hours before next coat/sand. Regardless of what the can says.
I put 5 coats on my dash. More would have been better.

You should be using very fine paper. Start with 250 , then 400, once pretty level go to 1000. ALL BLOCK sanded.
This is work and it will be rewarded with end product.

Finish is a personal choice. I went gloss, but now would go to a satin if to do again.

As a contractor that is my $.02

e9john

Site Donor
Reaction score
I know this is over a year since the last post but was wondering if there has been any progress with this, especially interested in how the re-veneering of the dash grab rail went if you have done this yet.

Rek

Reaction score
i agree that there is much better way to do sound ... but this is a good place to put tweeters - see the attached pic that i found a while back . i ended up putting tweeters in the side ashtrays - by replacing the metal / vinyl with perforated metal. i prefer the look of the wood speaker grille to the speaker grille delete versions. i still have a speaker behind the speaker grille, but i haven't decided whether i will end up putting gauges there or put a GPS screen there (covered up by the speaker grille) except when i am using it.

View attachment 24830
This is excellent - a custom made bracket I presume.