Instrument Gauge LED Lights

Brucemip

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to see if anyone has upgraded the instrument lights on their coupe to led? I have the old stock filament bulb, but at night it's really difficult to see. I've seen some led bulbs on eBay but is not sure if they will work, might be too bright? Same goes for the tail light, has anyone upgraded with success?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For tail lights I used aluminum tape to restore the reflectors. Simple inexpensive and works wonders for brightness. I refuse to use LEDs when Incandescent bulbs are very inexpensive and readily available.

Driver side Before.jpg
Driver side After.jpg
Driver side.jpg

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
@Stevehose can recommend some high quality regular bulbs for the rear lights, number plates and interior lights. I did the heat resistant chrome tape job too, very effective.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Another vote for the chrome tape. I am going to upgrade to the 4W incandescent bulbs in the dash so as to be able to continue to use the dim function. On longer drives or darker roads at night, I like to keep the interior dimly lit to help with my night vision (its a bitch getting old).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Bypass the headlight switch rheostat and lights will benefit. The terminals are at the end of the switch where the rheostat resides.

Brucemip

Reaction score
4 watt bulbs, reflective tape these are great suggestions, Thanks! I've order some 4w bulbs from eBay already. Now just have to find the tape.
The simplest upgrade is to go from the 2W bulbs to 4W bulbs. Sylvania 3893(T4W) fit perfectly.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I put LEDs on my beater Mercedes.

I really like them, but be sure they'll fit. I had to buy special ones that are very tiny.

ALso, most LEDs are not dimmable. But you probably won't need to dim them.

I chose GREEN. I like em.

2504208d1555180310-green-instruments-20190407_134741.jpg

They're also not as bright as it looks like in the picture.

jabloomf1230

Reaction score
I replaced a couple of bulbs in my 2005 Toyota 4Runner dash display with LED equivalents. My advice is that LEDS have plus and minus contacts, so one has to have the polarity correct or the LED will not light. That's the bad news. The good news is they come in a myriad of wattages and colors.

jmackro

Reaction score
One other issue on using LED's as dash lights: the "GEN" light may need to pass enough current to excite the alternator upon start-up. Some alternators require this and others don't, but if your's does, a LED draws too little current to perform this function.