Interesting CS on ebay

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Not able to turn well - that is a surprising disclaimer. There seems to be a number of other modifications both mechanically and cosmetically. Interesting project, depending on the reserve. I am not interested, but I wonder if the seller has photography of the rust repairs. Looks sharp in the few pics.

It sounds like the seller is holding value in that replacement engine. I wonder if it would be a better strategy to sell the engine separately, and an engine-less (but turning) mostly restored e9? I don't know - just thinking out loud. I wish eBay had a comments section like BaT as it would be interesting to follow. Although I guess that is what this thread is. :)

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wonder if the front suspension got changed (rack and pinion?). I don't how just replacing the engine would affect turning.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I wonder if the front suspension got changed (rack and pinion?). I don't how just replacing the engine would affect turning.

Could be. It is a pretty big "oh by the way" to leave as an unanswered problem. Perhaps if the seller provided a couple of photos of the underside of the car. :) This might speak to the condition/rust repair as well. Just sayin'...

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hmmm. The steering and electrical system are not properly sorted, but we are supposed to believe his guy got the body/paint/interior work right. Maybe, but if so the car is just a shell with most of an interior. The money this seller spent on the M3 drive train is lost.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
If they can prove minimal rust, who cares about the mechanical issues...

jmackro

Reaction score
ebay ad write-up said:
my former mechanic convinced me that the engine from an M3 would be the ideal choice.....the car has ... one major issue - the M3 engine was apparently the wrong choice. the car runs great in straight line but has issues turning, especially in tight spaces. i took it my new mechanic and .... he tells me the way to fix the issue is to replace the engine with an original 3.0 cs engine

You can't make this stuff up! This guy "invests" $90K in his coupe and ends up with a car that doesn't steer.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You can't make this stuff up! This guy "invests" $90K in his coupe and ends up with a car that doesn't steer.
Perhaps you can make it up. :oops:
Who has the disposable income to throw $90k at (4) different mechanics, and end up selling a non-driveable car for a loss. But they want to make sure they get the value out of a replant engine and some wheels. Seems a little unrealistic.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
a scam ???

the only point were steering "can" possibly ?? interfere are the headers ... on my rally car it is very close ... ( Schnitzer headers)

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Could have been worse. The ad could have read: "Only one big issue - the car only goes in reverse."
Actually, that might have been better. At least the would suggest only needing to change one part - the tranny (or shifter).

Last edited:

starcruiser

Reaction score
I wonder if it has the power steering pump, I don't see the reservoir in the usual place.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I asked:

Hi there, can you describe the mods done? Was the suspension changed? How would an engine transplant affect the steering? Got any more pics of the underside? Also, what all rust areas were fixed? Thanks

New message from: broadbandholdings (26 )

suspension is all new
more pics uploaded
all rust removed - most serious areas were the rocker panels and the towers
am told that the new shock towers are at an angle and that they should be perpendicular - all a function of the engine that was installed

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Suspension is all new, but the suspension geometry is screwed up. I think you nailed it Rob -- a MadMax job not done properly. If you look at his thread, Brendan posted about the need to move the boxes that the cross member mounts to back in order to get his suspension geometry correct.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
ya, s0meone didn't know how to setup suspension. May not be TOO hard to fix???

s-l1600.jpg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
It looks like the tube is welded at the arrow, if so, I hope the one who did it knew what he were doing, there are quite a bit of force going through there while braking. I'd much much prefer a bent tube, or a straight pipe/rod.
And something looks fishy where the steering rod is attached to the steering knuckle.

s-l1600.jpg