Interesting exhaust failure

Mike Goble

Reaction score
I was made a midnight run from Phoenix to Fairfield in my Bavarious on Sunday so I could be back home for Veteran's Day. It was 2 a.m. and I was about 120 miles from home, running 90 up I-5 when things suddenly got real loud. Being the cautious soul that I am, I drove it all the way home before I looked to see what had happened. It seems that the rear downpipe had separated from the flange right at the manifold. Maybe it's time for the headers...

Attachments

• IMG_5536.JPG
    IMG_5536.JPG
    287.4 KB · Views: 137

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow...
I just started hearing a ticking sound coming from back in that same area....
I need to figure out if manifold or flange gasket.....
Hope it’s nothing else....

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
So all the neighbors knew when you got home eh? :p That is a weird break. Post more photos when you get it apart...

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmmm, almost looks like it was cut with surgical precision. any trouble with the neighbors? Any other local E3's who may be jealous?

Mike Goble

Reaction score
No trouble with the neighbors. I built up a little speed, cut the motor and coasted the last block right into my driveway at about 0345. I took it out and welded it up today and forgot to take photos. It snapped pretty cleanly, maybe as a result of not having the support that bolts to the rear of the tranny.