Interesting internet-find

Orangener

Reaction score

pj

Reaction score
While I am a fan of the racing bodykits , I really do not like this style, who came up with this design?
That is a very nice Alpine next to it though.

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
pj said:
While I am a fan of the racing bodykits , I really do not like this style, who came up with this design?
Schnitzer

Orangener

Reaction score
dp said:
pj said:
Schnitzer

8) Thats right 8)

c155af5c061f615103dbc465da43450b.jpg

see my folder : http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg265/Orangener/AMS 25 Nov 1972/

chicane

Reaction score
Not a fan of the Schnitzer body panels...Can someone say I love the 70's?

Gerrit

Reaction score
Schnitzer body kit

This body kit is not just wheel arch extentions but an aerodynamic system: The fenders are extended in a wedged form with a minimal upper camber to press the car down at high speed and offering a reduced frontal area compared to conventional flared fenders. This was done in early 1972! Genius! Schnitzer was always a step ahead in terms of aerodamics and engine development when it comes to BMW racing. The beauty of this kit may not lie in its provocative baroque style but in its functionality and historical significance.
Gerrit

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Re: Schnitzer body kit

Gerrit said:
This body kit is not just wheel arch extentions but an aerodynamic system: The fenders are extended in a wedged form with a minimal upper camber to press the car down at high speed and offering a reduced frontal area compared to conventional flared fenders. This was done in early 1972! Genius! Schnitzer was always a step ahead in terms of aerodamics and engine development when it comes to BMW racing. The beauty of this kit may not lie in its provocative baroque style but in its functionality and historical significance. Gerrit

Did Schnitzer actually campaign this package? If it was truly functional why don't we remember this aero package instead of the BATs?

and

Since you are talking "historical significance", is the BMW Motorsport "livery" at all appropriate on this car?

Tierfreund

Reaction score
Schnitzer has been works team, semi works team and privateer on and off. They have pretty close relations with BMW and BMW motorsport. I don´t think anyone at BMW will take offence about the schnitzer kit combined with motorsport livery.
Afaik, the Schnitzer Kit was campaigned as well as others. There were quite a number of racing E9s to go around and the Bat was not the only one and not the first (I believe Alpina started racing the E9 with the 2800...)

Gerrit

Reaction score
Schnitzer body kit

By the time those kits where available, Schnitzer was starting the production of the16 valves 4 cyl, and was developing the 24 valves 6cyl. With potential power well over 400 hp, it was clear that this kit could not supply adequate housing for the required gearbox and rear end cooling radiators. About 20 kits were produced which included a special front and rear spoiler. Strangely enough the kits were street legal.

The car shown in the first is a mixed bag of various elements that do not necessarily belong together. The paint scheme is one of them.
Gerrit

pj

Reaction score
Gerrit, its kinda like
An ugly chick can be great in bed but you seen with her in Public .

Dang those R5s Kick ass , I remember seeing them in the wrc with the Metro 6r4, ford rs 200 and the lancia monte carlos, aka the killer B's. they got sooo fast they ended up restricting the whole series.

Malc

Reaction score
PJ
Don't forget the Peugoet 205 T16 another lunatic WRC group B car!

There are still a couple of Metro 6R4's running in the Scottish Rally Championship along with an Audi Quattro that a friend built locally to me (I helped sort the fuel injection on it)

Pictures from this years Scottish Rally......

http://www.ecossepix.co.uk/Rally2008/ScottishRally28Jun08/img_0145.html

Flip back and forwards through the pictures...Find the corner we came to grief in, though not as bad as some! Plus the BMW that does well!
Malc