Interior trunk finishes

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

I am wondering what other finishes/coverings Forum members have used on the trunk shock towers. Please include pictures? My factory plastic coverings are pooched so I am looking for options. Currently mine are body colour but with remnants of factory glue. My first step will be to chemically remove the old glue...at least try...

Thanks

Regards,
Bill

Attachments

• 9dFKIOYER7WtsX7ZFFTDqA.jpg
    9dFKIOYER7WtsX7ZFFTDqA.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 155

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I would have some Sahara paint mixed in a couple of rattle cans, clean off the glue, mask every and shoot the paint. Others have had vinyl or leather covers sewn but that gets pricey.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
I would have some Sahara paint mixed in a couple of rattle cans, clean off the glue, mask every and shoot the paint. Others have had vinyl or leather covers sewn but that gets pricey.

Thanks, Chris, I have some industrial alkyd tinted to match (very close). I have been using it as a top coat but behind the scenes. Leaving the original exterior original; the odd ding and fade I think are good character.

Cheers

Attachments

• dURnIZhBRtKvpBiLMp08%g.jpg
    dURnIZhBRtKvpBiLMp08%g.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 136

duct-tape

Site Donor
Reaction score
if you were trying to be showy, you could get some vinyl wrap, or spray adhesive and sheet vinyl- something with a little thickness or foam backing to hide imperfections

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I cleared off the glue, used match rattle can and then 2K gloss clear coat to match the rest of the trunk.

Are your covers that far gone (or gone meaning not in your possession)? They repair well with some JB weld on the inner surface.

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
I cleared off the glue, used match rattle can and then 2K gloss clear coat to match the rest of the trunk.

Are your covers that far gone (or gone meaning not in your possession)? They repair well with some JB weld on the inner surface.

Hi bavbob

I mean they are severely cracked. No problem; I always found them noisy and a lil cheap. I think cleaning the glue off is the first step.

Regards,
Bill

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I felt the same but have learned these covers are viewed as gold as indicated by the reproductions for the E9 costing hundreds of dollars.