iPhone 12 photos

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've been stumbling along happily with my iPhone 6s, but the time had finally come to upgrade. One of the advantages of the 12 was supposedly the much better camera. I took a few of my Bavaria today. They are not quite "as shot". I cranked up the exposure some to get the exposure on the car closer to correct which washed out the sunlit areas a little, and I cranked down on sharpness. Maybe I'm too used to the fuzzy pictures of my 6s, but these still look overly enhanced to me. I'll have to play with the new phone a little more.

IMG_6775.jpeg
IMG_6774.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
very pretty Bavaria ... much better photo than most phones normally take. i have an iphone 7 so i'm used to the quality of your 6s

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That is a serious flaw with iPhones (all of them) in my opinion. They enhance things that aren't there. We were doing a photo shoot of one of my projects recently with our professional photographer. She walked down a trail to see if there was a good view from a distant bridge. While there she snapped a couple of test photos with her iPhone because we'd left all of the real equipment at the last location. When we shot the real photos from the new spot, "reality" was completely different than the iPhone faux dreamery. We live in a graphic world. What will be saved electronically will, unfortunately, paint a 20 something year old software engineer's version of history. Redder lips, bluer skies, whiter teeth... We're beautiful.

Your car looks great, though!

Last edited:

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
That is a serious flaw with iPhones (all of them) in my opinion. They enhance things that aren't there. We were doing a photo shoot of one of my projects recently with our professional photographer. She walked down a trail to see if there was a good view from a distant bridge. While there she snapped a couple of test photos with her iPhone because we'd left all of the real equipment at the last location. When we shot the real photos from the new spot, "reality" was completely different than the iPhone faux dreamery. We live in a graphic world. What will be saved electronically will, unfortunately, paint a 20 something year old software engineer's version of history. Redder lips, bluer skies, whiter teeth... We're beautiful.

Your car looks great, though!

very true, but we do not notice it unless we have the chance to compare, just like you said
we do not take photos anymore, phones even frame and level the photos and transform them to “look better”,
the new standard of beauty
every photo is a particular reading of reality, you capture only the part that you are interested in
point is that you have to take a lot of work to go against the will of your phone and change the presettings

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I've been stumbling along happily with my iPhone 6s, but the time had finally come to upgrade. One of the advantages of the 12 was supposedly the much better camera. I took a few of my Bavaria today. They are not quite "as shot". I cranked up the exposure some to get the exposure on the car closer to correct which washed out the sunlit areas a little, and I cranked down on sharpness. Maybe I'm too used to the fuzzy pictures of my 6s, but these still look overly enhanced to me. I'll have to play with the new phone a little more.

View attachment 126743View attachment 126742

very nice pictures,
and lovely car and landscape

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, @deQuincey

I found this tutorial...

Information overload, but I'm hopeful with some experimentation that I can get pictures that are not so enhanced.

Easy to turn off Smart HDR3 in Settings. That alone may be enough.

Raining today, but I'll try again when the sun come out.

CSBM5

Reaction score
very nice pictures,
and lovely car and landscape

I agree completely. These made me think of a BMW brochure from back then actually...very well done!

Dick, the car is absolutely stunning, so I doubt you can saturate this board with pictures no matter how many you take...load them up and let's see them! I'm thinking now how I need to take some more pictures of my M3 and really go at it since I'm considering selling it soon after 10 years of ownership -- I guess since it's silver, I've just never thought of it as photogenic, so I don't have many pictures of the car.

Also, ages ago, I bought an app called Camera+ which has been updated through the years and is a nice way to access settings the standard camera app doesn't allow (like locking in a certain f-stop and shutter speed you desire while also locking focus to a given area of the scene, etc). I'm sure there are many camera apps available.

We followed the same iphone path...I refused to buy a new iphone until I could buy one (other than the SE) that was similar in size to the 6S, so when the 12 mini came out, I finally upgraded. Since 2009 I've managed to only have 3GS, 5, 6S, 12mini. :)

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick, you did a fantastic job on that car and you did it quick and with accuracy. I am amazed at how fast you were able to locate all those parts that were missing. This car is a tribute to you and also to this forum.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Dick, you did a fantastic job on that car and you did it quick and with accuracy. I am amazed at how fast you were able to locate all those parts that were missing. This car is a tribute to you and also to this forum.
Thanks Bob, but...I'm retired and cars are my main entertainment. If I had an actual life, it would have taken longer ;). It was a Covid year...no travel and many other normal activities were sidelined. This wasn't my first rodeo. I've done lots of other cars (no BMWs however). I am OK with the basics.

A big part of the fun of the hobby for me is networking for advice to solve problems, for finding those unobtanium parts, and for meeting other enthusiasts. The members of this forum are extremely helpful. Always great responses to my questions and quests for parts. In addition the search function here is excellent (unlike many other car forums). Lots of easily accessed archived info here.

It was a fun restoration and I now have one (of the many) cars I lusted after in my youth. :love:

Thank you e9coupe.com and all those here that make it so great!