Ireland Engineering Header Fitment Question

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
Calling anyone that has direct experience with these:

Can anyone confirm if they have used these headers and not had to make an adjustment or notch the frame rail to provide clearance. I have searched and found a couple instances of people stating they did, though according to IE, this *should* not be necessary for most e9s.

I know there are fitment issues with the ebay ones that copy these, but I am specifically looking for experience with these headers.

Thanks in advance

frogish

Reaction score
I have no experience from the IE headers but I have the identical set from Schmeidmann, and think they are somewhat equal build quality(?)
I had to heat and dent one pipe a little and also make a 5x20 mm cutout in the frame rail.

'69 2800cs

Reaction score
I’m 99% sure I have the IE headers and no mods were required to the frame rail.

Attachments

• 38D74CE1-4A8B-45AF-8EE2-95B075C488E5.jpeg
    38D74CE1-4A8B-45AF-8EE2-95B075C488E5.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 257

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
depends on the diameter of the primaries i think…. the Schnitzers have only a short tube to equal the outlet ports and directly go greater in diameter for the bends.....

frogish

Reaction score
I’m 99% sure I have the IE headers and no mods were required to the frame rail.
Consider that manufacturing tolerances in welded constructions, without milling afterwards, are fairly big, general +/- 2 mm. The only part of real significance on the headers is that the manifold is flat.
Since the headers are handmade I think length measurements and angles can vary quite a bit, even though the build quality in itself (welding etc.) is pretty linear.
Although yours fit without mod, you don't seem to have much space, and it's possible that another set from the same manufacturer would require a little modification.

AceAndrew

Reaction score
There were two variations of the IE headers. The second iteration wrapped in a little closer and would clear the frame rail more often then not.

FYI, Schmeidmann bought an IE header and sent it to China. I was working for Jeff at the time and took the order. I have seen a number of the China/Schmeidman's vary quite a bit, but the IE headers are all (except for the M20 shorty) jig -welded in Pasadena.

CharlesJ

Site Donor
Reaction score
There were two variations of the IE headers. The second iteration wrapped in a little closer and would clear the frame rail more often then not.

FYI, Schmeidmann bought an IE header and sent it to China. I was working for Jeff at the time and took the order. I have seen a number of the China/Schmeidman's vary quite a bit, but the IE headers are all (except for the M20 shorty) jig -welded in Pasadena.

Great info. I think I am going to give it a shot, and will report back.