Is this an Alpina rim?

qcabra

Reaction score
Hi,
I searched a bunch on the forum and I'm still not sure whether these are Alpina rims? They have 20 spokes and they are on a 1974 cs3.0 . Somebody told me yes they are and somebody else said no. I have no idea. I have the middle pieces for them as well. Additionally, how much are 5 of these worth in their current condition? Thank you for tasking your time to look at this.

Attachments

• bmw wheel.jpg
    bmw wheel.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 147

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
If they are 7x14", then chances are they are Alpinas. Alpina should also be stamped on the black center hub area.

The 14" Alpinas are not really worth that much, maybe $800 for a very good set of fours. The 16" staggered Alpinas are much more sought after and where the big money is at, they usually go for about $2000-$2500 for an excellent set.

Bill Riblett

(deceased)
Reaction score
If they are Alpina wheels, as mentioned, they will have ALPINA cast into the hub area in the center of the wheel. However, there were copies sold under a number of labels back in the late 70s, early 80s. I think these were mostly made by OZ and some of the 'brand' names were MSW and BHS. There were other 20 spoked wheels which were not quite as accurate replicas, such as the French VIAL and English 100+.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Another way to quickly identify Alpina wheels (although not 100% accurate) is that the mounting holes for the lugs are located against the inner recessed wall of the wheel. Or, the outside of the hole makes contact with the wall, where copy wheels have a slightly larger center area and the holes are located completely on the flat portion. There may be some copies that are like Alpinas, but most are not.

Dan