Is this radio correct for my 74 euro coupe?

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I believe this even has the correct knobs for this radio. The leather change purse below is from a BMW dealer in Germany. Has their name and a roundel. A period touch since no one carries change purses. Just plastic cards.

So, it it correct for my coupe. I agree with Markos, et al, if you like it, go for it. End of story.

S 20200111_145948_resized (1).jpg
20200111_145948_resized (1).jpg
eve

enoz05

Site Donor
Reaction score
It seems to be a 1970 to 1972 radio. The numbers on the display going up from right to left. Since 1972/73 this has been changed and they are going up from left to right. According the pushbuttons it's a Köln radio, but I'm not sure. Some people exchange the push buttons with these chrome ones to give a different touch to the radio. The chrome level behind the right knob is missing. If you want to know for sure you must take out the radio and see what is on the paper tag on the side of the radio.
Nevertheless it's a nice radio and nice faceplate.

Last edited:

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
It seems to be a 1970 to 1972 radio. The numbers on the display going up from right to left. Since 1972/73 this has been changed and they are going up from left to right. According the pushbuttons it's a Köln radio, but I'm not sure. Some people exchange the push buttons with these chrome ones to give a different touch to the radio. The chrome level behind the right knob is missing. If you want to know for sure you must take out the radio and see what is on the paper tag on the side of the radio.
Nevertheless it's a nice radio and nice faceplate.
Thank you Enoz. Is the chrome level that sits behind the right knob available? A small but important detail.
Thanks,
Steve

enoz05

Site Donor
Reaction score
Steve,
The chrome ring behind the right knob has no function, it is only that left and right are the same. These chrome levels are still available.
Regards,
Enoz

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Steve,
The chrome ring behind the right knob has no function, it is only that left and right are the same. These chrome levels are still available.
Regards,
Enoz
Enoz, where would I source something as small as the ring? Thanks, Steve

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
So the functional chrome level on the left has a tab but the one on the right should just be a chrome ring without a tab?

enoz05

Site Donor
Reaction score
So the functional chrome level on the left has a tab but the one on the right should just be a chrome ring without a tab?
That's correct for European Blaupunkt frankfurt radio

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That's correct for European Blaupunkt frankfurt radio
Thanks. I had tabs on both of mine so just ordered one from the eBay link.
I don't know for certain, but I have a feeling that there may be a gap in the information here. Correct for "European" radios may not imply correct for US versions? I feel like I usually see the tabs on both sides. I ordered one from that eBay link in haste, but I feel there are some more data points that are still unfolding. o_O Again, not sure - but when little bursts of facts come in, it is sometimes hard to know the full story.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
what drove me crazy was one was chrome and the other satin
I agree 100%. That difference in finish would keep me up at night, too.

Hey, mine just arrived. It was wrapped beautifully, in a little box like a piece of jewelry. It is the shiny chrome finish.
20200117_131212_resized.jpg

enoz05

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know for certain, but I have a feeling that there may be a gap in the information here. Correct for "European" radios may not imply correct for US versions? I feel like I usually see the tabs on both sides. I ordered one from that eBay link in haste, but I feel there are some more data points that are still unfolding. o_O Again, not sure - but when little bursts of facts come in, it is sometimes hard to know the full story.
Only US blaupunkt Frankfurt radios needs 2 the same chrome levels

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't know for certain, but I have a feeling that there may be a gap in the information here. Correct for "European" radios may not imply correct for US versions? I feel like I usually see the tabs on both sides.

Maybe you were thinking of the Blaupunkt factory installation instructions, which show a symmetrical setup. BTW - The lever on the left is for tone.

FEEAA9F8-68FE-466D-9C27-277053DF54B3.jpeg