Is this the right car ?

Paul02

Reaction score
Hello
Looking for a doner car in the UK as close to London/Kent area as poss.
I have located a 535i ( E28 ) from 1985 with a manual box . Is this the right vintage for an engine swop and does this have the bits I need or at least some of them . Does this have the motronic 1.3 I have been told I need.
I will be buying the whole car so I can take what I need and skip the rest.
Thanks for the help
Paul

MichaelP

Reaction score
Assuming that UK E28s were generally the same spec as US versions, this is the M30b34 with Motronic 1.1. No E28s were available with an M30b35 or Motronic 1.3. On the other hand, 1985 was the only year that the E28 535i came with a Getrag 265 transmission with a separate bellhousing (a la the E9). This is handy, as the whole rig - trans and motor - you are looking at will bolt up together into your E9. You'll still need to shorten the driveshaft as with any 5-speed.

The later M30b35 has a few more horses and torques (to use a Clarkson) than the b34 you're looking at (b34 and b35 is BMW nomenclature for 3.4 vs 3.5 liters). Motronic 1.3 helps in that department as well, along with a simpler flywheel reference sensor swap. However, since you can take the motor AND trans from the donor car, the reference sensor issue should be moot. Someone, please correct me if I'm off base here.

Motronic 1.1 is a fine, reliable system, and is just as tuneable (the ECU chip can be easily swapped for one with more aggressive timing) as 1.3. If the motor you're looking at can pass a leakdown compression test, and if it's good value, it might be the ticket.

Before you jump, be sure to find out what else is involved with either a 1.1 or 1.3 swap. On this side of the Atlantic, the intake plenum interferes with the stock hydraulic brake booster. I don't know what it means for y'all drivin' on the wrong side of the road. If no one pipes up here, ask Jaymic. They'll know.

Paul02

Reaction score
Thanks Michael
It is becoming a little clearer now only thing I need to know is if I decide that this E28 is not in good enough order , which model / year is the ideal doner.
Cheers Paul

Honolulu

Reaction score
One more thing

Since you may not know, the driveshaft from the coupe auto trans can be used in your five speed conversion. Neat, huh?