It is debating season, no not that debate

chope97

Reaction score
I have 2 Bavaria's a 73 auto and a 71 5 speed. they have been sleeping for a couple of months due to my bathroom remodel project. Last year if I let them sit for a couple of weeks, they are really hard to start and I have to use starter fluid. Both are parked outside. The question for discussion is do I convert both to electric fuel pumps or just do the pre-pump option to fill up the bowls? If I convert to electric fuel pump, I will need to wire up an automatic shut off circuit tied to the oil pressure sender. If I do the pre pump route I would need to use the rear defrost switch to turn it on and off. Both cars have Weber 32/36 carbs. I am tired of opening the hood and spraying starter fluid when I want to go for a ride. Is there another option? What say ye?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey Chope,
I used to experience the hard starting after my Coupe would sit as well. Also twin Weber 32/36 setup. After installing a fuel line check valve, some fuel would stay behind in the fuel line, closer to carbs, after car was parked. Was much easier to start if it sat a week or so. Not expensive, simple install, perhaps worth a try before you go the electric route? Good luck.
Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 3.08.39 PM.png

Frederick

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 2002 has an electric fuel pump that supplies a 38 downdraft Weber. It is routed through a relay and turns on when I turn the key. I don’t have an automatic shut off, I don’t have anI don’t have a check valve and it’s not supplied by the defroster switch, wired directly to the fuse box.
I got in it today after Five months in storage. Turned on the key, heard the fuel pump start, pumped the accelerator pedal three times to engage the choke, turned the ignition key and the car fired up immediately.
I’ve had this set up for 10 years.

chope97

Reaction score
My 2002 has an electric fuel pump that supplies a 38 downdraft Weber. It is routed through a relay and turns on when I turn the key. I don’t have an automatic shut off, I don’t have anI don’t have a check valve and it’s not supplied by the defroster switch, wired directly to the fuse box.
I got in it today after Five months in storage. Turned on the key, heard the fuel pump start, pumped the accelerator pedal three times to engage the choke, turned the ignition key and the car fired up immediately.
All I can say is wow, mine wont start after sitting for 2 weeks much less 5 months